Using two Chrome Extensions, Disconnect and AdBlock you can be sure of having a vary very clean browsing experience-it is recommended especially if you dont like the auto sharing of your personal preferences and cannot be bothered by the Byzantine maze of social media privacy fineprint.
Disconnect by Brian Kennish
Stop major third parties and search engines from tracking the webpages you go to and searches you do.
* Search depersonalization is now optional and off by default. Click the “d” button then the “Depersonalize searches” checkbox to turn this feature on (or back off in case you have trouble getting to Google or Yahoo services). For help with anything else, see the known issues below and ask questions at http://j.mp/dnewgroup. § If you’re a typical web user, you’re unintentionally sending your browsing and search history with your name and other personal information to third parties and search engines whenever you’re online. Take control of the data you share with Disconnect! From the developer of the top-10-rated Facebook Disconnect extension, Disconnect lets you: • Disable tracking by third parties like Digg, Facebook, Google, Twitter, and Yahoo, without requiring any setup or significantly degrading the usability of the web. • Truly depersonalize searches on search engines like Google and Yahoo (by blocking identifying cookies not just changing the appearance of results pages), while staying logged into other services — e.g., so you can search anonymously on Google and access iGoogle at once. • See how many resource and cookie requests are blocked, in real time
Extensions > AdBlock
AdBlock(6937) - 1,615,373 users - Weekly installs: 153,032The most popular Chrome extension, with over 1.5 million users! Blocks ads all over the web.Verified author: chromeadblock.com
================= New in version 2.1: Translated into dozens of languages! New in version 2.0: Ads are blocked from downloading, instead of just being removed after the fact! ======================= The official AdBlock For Chrome! Block all advertisements on all web pages. Your browser is automatically updated with additions to the filter: just click Install, then visit your favorite website and see the ads disappear! FAQs:1. This is the official AdBlock extension: the original ad blocker written from the ground up to be optimized in Chrome. There's an unrelated, older Firefox project called Adblock Plus, and they're working on making a Chrome version out of the old AdThwart codebase. At the moment AdBlock blocks some ads that AdThwart only hides, but they're working to improve it. It's available at bit.ly/id2Gqx; if you have trouble with AdBlock, they're good guys and a fine alternative!
- Most Popular Firefox Extensions and Posts of 2010 [Video] (lifehacker.com)
- Ex-Googler Helps Users Disconnect From the Social Web (readwriteweb.com)
- 10 Google Chrome Extensions for a Faster Browser (friedbeef.com)
- IE9 Gets Built-In Ad Blocking (informationweek.com)
- Click&Clean, Browser Add-On To Delete Temporary Data, Improve Privacy (ghacks.net)