The king who is situated anywhere immediately on the circumference of the conqueror’s territory is termed the enemy. The king who is likewise situated close to the enemy, but separated from the conqueror only by the enemy, is termed the friend (of the conqueror). — Kautilya, Arthasastra
Befriend a distant state while attacking a neighbour – Sun_Tzu, Art of War the twenty-third stratagem of thirty-six
What do young and budding data scientists want?
-To be mentored by experienced data scientists on acquiring skills what to study and where to study given the huge number of choices in studying data science (videos, Moocs, classroom,online education) at different price points (from 0$ to 10000$). surprising number of would be data scientists in India dont know basics of git or linux even though it is free at places like codeacademy. surprising number of experienced data scientists in India do not give back to community in meetups or webcasts even though doing so would increase their brands.
-many institutes offer huge number of courses ranging from 400$ to 10000$ programs. budding data scientists need some sort of protection from confusion created by unethical marketing promises
– students need capstone projects, how to do competitions like kaggle, hackathons, open datasets to practice skills above. competitive coding, data structures and algorithms is the next round of knowledge to be acquired to get interviews.
– opportunity to showcase their skills and output in internships. A single data science post on LetsIntern gets ~300 applicants!
Lets all try and give knowledge if we are experienced, and lets all try to humbly work hard to acquire knowledge if we are new. This is next revolution in information technology due to cloud, big data, open source, machine and deep learning, and AI.
Lets make knowledge equitable. Thats the only way it grows.
Anaconda announced their exhaustive and superb data science certification. While Big Data and other fields have had certifications , data science only had expensive tutorials and training but no certification. This will be a game changer in the data science training industry.
- Delete Apps connected to LinkedIn at https://www.linkedin.com/psettings/permitted-services
- Delete Apps connected to Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/settings?tab=applications
- Delete Apps connected to Google Accounts https://myaccount.google.com/security?&pli=1#connectedapps
That should reduce your digital threat footprint
Next up should be a anti-phishing bot
While I have written articles on mining Facebook data using R (here https://decisionstats.com/2014/05/10/analyzing-facebook-networks-using-rstats/ ) I view it as a place to share photos (from Instagram and Whatsapp) and keep in touch. Deleting facebook means deleting most of my adult memories- or deleting baby along with bath water. FB has smart people. Surely they can find the energy and focus to fix this before it goes worse