A soldier that refuses to fight is useless
Imagine a world
- Mainland China uses cyber weapons and tactics to influence Taiwan’s elections
- Israel uses cyber tactics to influence Iran’s elections (yes Iran has elections)
- Russia /Syria/ Iran uses cyber tactics to influence Israel’s elections
- Pakistan uses cyber weapons and tactics to influence India”s elections
- North Korea does it to one of South Korea’s parties /politicians
- Lots of clients in Latin America for such specialists
The revelations of Russian (?) hacking (selectively) and leaking in an electoral cycle to favor a candidate which is more friendly than the other to them, could unleash a new era of cyber tactics. What is the central premise? Every party has something to hide, and each party has a foreign policy stand
If this was 1960, the CIA could have used the internet to bring down Castro (no need of poisoned Cigars)
Hacking Elections as a Service!
After a lazy cold winter in which I suffered from cervical /neck pain thanks to soccer adventures in twenties, I return with some light hearted movie reviews
- Rogue One- The movie was great and it was how the rebel alliance got the blueprint to the death star in the first place- think of it as the movie between Return of the Sith and before A New Hope. Yes well done movie, and alas, goodbye Princess Leia in her final appearance. Suicide missions seem so heroic if performed in the Western Cinema and horrifying when in East.
- Dangaal- Aamir khan returns as producer/ director on a true inspired tale of a retired wrestler battling patriarchal society misogny (India in Haryana) to train his two daughters to medal winning heights. Inspiring and like all sports movies cliched like Rocky.
- Kaabil- Blind man plots revenge after rape- suicide of his blind wife. Bollywood’s most handsome hero returns to act in his prdoucer dad’s movie and delivers an excellent gem. Justice is blind and revenge is sweet if done to the bad guys.
Social media increasingly gives you access to friends and family of influential people. These digital assets are likely to be under renewed attack by cyberplayers including domestic and foreign hackers.
If DNC Campaign members can be hacked, then who stops or defends Ivanka Trump from being hacked by ideologues. The Secret Service lacks a cyber corps (as events have shown)
One man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter. One man’s cyber terrorist is another man’s cyber activist.
I wonder if self driving car enthusiasts have created a backdoor for failsafe driving. This is based on recent reports of ISIS using automobiles as weapons of mass destruction (esp in France et al) , as well as the convergence of self driving cars without human intervention. Same goes for drones unfortunately.
a humble collection of the minimal statistics needed for a data scientist
Hypothesis testing is the use of statistics to determine the probability that a given hypothesis is true. The usual process of hypothesis testing consists of four steps.
- Formulate the null hypothesis (commonly, that the observations are the result of pure chance) and the alternative hypothesis (commonly, that the observations show a real effect combined with a component of chance variation).
Now let us take this way of thinking to the recent elections. Multiple scenarios can be tested.
- Clinton Campaign was bad in cyber security and cyber activist/ hackers breached both them as security of state and as candidate to highlight lack of cyber security
- Clinton as wife of ex President was not suitable to the ultra liberal cyber activists as conducive to democracy (ie. Bush,Clinton,Clinton,Bush,Bush,Obama,Obama,Clinton– would have been the Presidential roll call)
- Sustained hacking by cyber activists is also true for certain opponents ( Clinton had been a key opponent of Manning, Snowden et al)
- State players including intelligence agencies usually keep an arm’s length distance to maintain plausible deniability
- The CIA and NYTimes were able to firmly pinpoint the Russian Govt backed hackers only a few days after elections even though these activities seemed to have gone over a few years
- The FBI was investigating the Clinton (not the Trumps) for irresponsible cyber security and publicly said BEFORE elections
- Both FBI and CIA will see drastic personnel and leadership changes in a new adminsitration
- Where is the log data for breach of networks by Russian IP addresses (which does not mean they are in Russia- remember Tor)? Why cant it be shown publicly? Why cant charges be filed in a US court for illegal activity
- Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who guards the guardians of American cyber space. Even though the US has the largest conventional and nuclear military- do the recent incidents show a colossal underinvestment in cyber warfare and cyber defence by the Pentagon
- In God, We trust. Every one else must bring data. Currently the whole hacking, server debate is more like an episode of Big Bang Theory combined with Hackers. Data can and should be published ( just like Enron data was published)
- A better statistician /hacker than me can then formulate the hypothesis on who was responsible for breaching and releasing the information from DNC