Ajay Ohri is a data scientist with over fifteen years of experience in data science including SAS, R, Python, and Tableau. He is currently deployed in Gurgaon. He has experience in making models for credit cards, banking and insurance and analysis for Entertainment, Telecom and e-Commerce applications.
Ohri is the founder of Decisionstats.com and currently works as a senior data scientist. Decisionstats.com has accrued a million page views since its founding in 2007. He has interviewed more than 100 practitioners in analytics, including leading members from all the analytics software vendors. Ohri has written almost 2000 articles on his blog, besides guest writing for influential analytics communities. He has taught courses in R through online education. Ohri has interviewed many notable people in analytics including co-founder of SAS Institute John Sall, founder of KDNuggets Gregory Piatetsky-Shapiro, Jan De Leeuw, Hadley Wickham, Hilary Mason, Usama Fayyad and Stephen L. Baker among others.
Ajay Ohri began writing articles starting from CoolAvenues. He has written around 50 articles for ProgrammableWeb and many articles for KDNuggets. Besides this, he has been cited by Wired Magazine and ReadWriteWeb for espousing a marketplace for algorithms.
Ohri has also written on using Big Data for Developing countries for IBM Big Data Magazine Ohri has also written tutorials in both Python and SAS for StatisticsViews.com.. Ohri was one of the five data scientists globally who were featured in KDNuggets in A Day in the life of a Data Scientist.
Ohri is the author of three books in data science.
In 2012 he wrote R for Business Analytics for Springer Publishing. The book was translated into Chinese by Xi’an Jiaotong University Press and in 2016 they printed the Chinese edition. R for Business Analytics looked at some of the most common tasks performed by business analysts and helps the user navigate the wealth of information in R and its (then) 4000 packages. With this information the reader can select the packages that can help process the analytical tasks with minimum effort and maximum usefulness. The use of Graphical User Interfaces (GUI) was emphasized in this book to further cut down and bend the famous learning curve in learning R. This book was aimed to help the reader kick-start with analytics including chapters on data visualization, code examples on web analytics and social media analytics, clustering, regression models, text mining, data mining models and forecasting.
In 2014, Ohri wrote Cloud Computing: An Approach for Data Scientists for Springer Publishing.
R for Cloud Computing looked at some of the tasks performed by business analysts on the desktop (PC era) and helps the user navigate the wealth of information in R and its (then) 6000 packages as well as transition the same analytics using the cloud. With this information the reader can select both cloud vendors and the sometimes confusing cloud ecosystem as well as the R packages that can help process the analytical tasks with minimum effort, cost and maximum usefulness and customization. The use of Graphical User Interfaces (GUI) and Step by Step screenshot tutorials was emphasized in this book to lessen the famous learning curve in learning R and some of the needless confusion created in cloud computing that hindered its widespread adoption.
In 2017 he wrote Python for R Users: A Data Science Approach for Wiley Publishing.
The first book of its kind, Python for R Users: A Data Science Approach makes it easy for R programmers to code in Python and Python users to program in R. Short on theory and long on actionable analytics, it provided readers with a detailed comparative introduction and overview of both languages and features concise tutorials with command-by-command translations—complete with sample code—of R to Python and Python to R.
Following an introduction to both languages, the author cut to the chase with step-by-step coverage of the full range of pertinent programming features and functions, including data input, data inspection/data quality, data analysis, and data visualization. Statistical modeling, machine learning, and data mining—including supervised and unsupervised data mining methods—were treated in detail, as are time series forecasting, text mining, and natural language processing.
In addition to technology books, Ohri has authored four books on poetry. Unlike his technology books, Ohri’s poetry books are self-published. His poetry blog www.poemsforkush.com had accrued more than 200000 views.
Ohri graduated from Delhi College of Engineering with a B.E. in Mechanical Engineering, and has a MBA from Indian Institute of Management Lucknow. In addition, he did graduate courses at University of Tennessee, Knoxville
He has advised multiple startups in analytics off-shoring, analytics services, and analytics education, as well as using social media to enhance buzz for analytics products. His 15-year career as a data scientist includes working with names like Citi Group, Tata Group, GE et al.
Mr. Ohri’s research interests include using Big Data Analytics to solve enterprise challenges, spreading open source analytics, analyzing social media, simpler interfaces for computing, and investigating knowledge flows.
Ohri has created and conducted trainings at multiple institutes
- Jigsaw Academy (R 2012)
- Edureka (R 2013)
- IMS Proschool (R SAS 2014,2018)
- Collabera (R 2015)
- WeekendR (R 2015)
- Sunstone (R, 2016)
- DigitalVidya (R, Python 2017)
Ohri has been interviewed multiple times by people in the industry-
- Big Step InterviewJuly 2015 Expert Interview on the Importance of Big Data
- AnalyticsVidhyaFeb 2015 Interview– Ajay Ohri, Founder, decisionstats.com
- AnalyticsIndia MagazineNov 2012 Interview, Author “R for Business Analytics”
- HRTechEurope More R in HRNov 2012
- Data Mining ResearchJan 2011 Interview Data Mining Research interview
- AnalyticBridgeApr 2008 Interview with Ajay Ohri, Data Mining Consultant from India
- KDnuggets Interview
- DigitalVidya Interview
- Audio Interview Flaw Code
He has given multiples talks at conferences
1) Big Data Big Analytics – Workshop on Statistical Machine Learning and Game Theory Approaches for Large Scale Data Analysis 9 July 2012 – 14 July 2012
2) Data Analytics using the Cloud- Challenges and Opportunities for India at 1st International Symposium on Big Data and Cloud Computing Challenges(ISBCC-2014) March 27-28, 2014 VIT University, Chennai, India
3) Open Source Analytics at OSSCamp 2014
4) Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics- Delhi Technological University Evolute 2015: Annual Symposium Speaker
5) Talk on Analytics as a profession at Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (followed by multiple invited talks on R)
6) Data Analytics Summit at Delhi School of Economics
Ohri has conducted following Workshops
- Pre-Placement training workshop for Economics Students, Delhi School of Economics.
- Data Science (Byte Academy New York)
You can see the relevant links at https://decisionstats.com/decisionstats-org/
In addition, he conducted training for Danamon Bank new joiners on Python, R and Data Science.
Currently, Ohri is a member of team of AI / Data Engineering practice of a Consulting firm. Current duties involve Creating POVs/POCs in practice (e.g. Speech Recognition, Mortgage Default, Credit Card Fraud, Telecom Churn, Trade Surveillance), Mentoring junior team members (Microsoft team for weekly teaching in R and Python and Kaggle Training for competitive coding in Machine and Deep Learning) as well as founding a Meetup for external outreach. In addition, he assists for creating competency matrix and improving Hiring process for practice.
———————————-RELEVANT LINKS, SLIDES, PICTURES ARE BELOW———————–
Interviews (of Ajay Ohri)
- Big Step Interview July 2015 Expert Interview with Ajay Ohri on the Importance of Big Data http://blog.bigstep.com/big-data-experts-interviews/expert-interview-with-ajay-ohri-on-the-importance-of-big-data/
- AnalyticsVidhya Feb 2015 Interview with Industry expert – Ajay Ohri, Founder, decisionstats.com http://www.analyticsvidhya.com/blog/2015/02/interview-expert-ajay-ohri-founder-decisionstats-com/
- AnalyticsIndia Magazine Nov 2012 Interview – Ajay Ohri, Author “R for Business Analytics” http://analyticsindiamag.com/interview-ajay-ohri-author-r-for-business-analytics/
- HRTechEurope More R in HR Nov 2012 http://blog.hrtecheurope.com/more-r-in-hr/
- Data Mining Research Jan 2011 Interview Data Mining Research interview: Ajay Ohri http://www.dataminingblog.com/data-mining-research-interview-ajay-ohri/
- AnalyticBridge Apr 2008 Interview with Ajay Ohri, Data Mining Consultant from India
- KDnuggets Interview https://www.kdnuggets.com/2017/11/day-life-data-scientist.html
- DigitalVidya Interview https://www.digitalvidya.com/blog/interview-with-ajay-ohri-data-scientist-kogentix-inc/
- Audio Interview Flaw Code https://soundcloud.com/flawcode/ajay-ohri
- Youtube Video of teaching R online (100000 views) https://youtu.be/TGo9F0QyBuE?t=3m52s
- Video of teaching Python in class https://decisionstats.com/2015/10/08/introduction-to-python-for-data-science/
- Video of teaching R in class https://decisionstats.com/2015/10/08/introduction-to-r-for-analytics-and-data-science/
- Video of teaching Analytics and Data Science in class https://decisionstats.com/2015/10/08/introduction-to-analytics-and-data-science/
- Jigsaw Analytics http://analyticstraining.com/2013/jigsaw-completes-training-of-300-students-on-r/
- Edureka https://decisionstats.com/2013/12/11/teaching-r-in-india-rstats-323-for-6-week-course/
- Collabera http://collaberatact.com/online-training-courses/analytics-with-r/
- Sunstone Business School
- DigitalVidya http://www.digitalvidya.com/data-analytics-course/
A Day in the life of a Data Scientist
App Store for Algorithms
- June 2011 article in ReadWriteWeb http://readwrite.com/2011/06/01/an-app-store-for-algorithms
- August 2014 in Wired http://www.wired.com/2014/08/algorithmia/
How to be a better Writer
- Wil Wheaton on Tumblr http://wilwheaton.tumblr.com/post/54699823961/torteen-great-advice-to-writers
- The 8 rules of writing http://bookmarketingbestsellers.com/ajay-ohri-the-8-rules-of-writing/
- Quora https://www.quora.com/What-resources-can-I-use-to-improve-my-written-English/answers/2048810
CONFERENCES AND TALKS
1) Big Data Big Analytics – http://krishnarajpm.com/bigdata/abstract.pdf Workshop on Statistical Machine Learning and Game Theory Approaches for Large Scale Data Analysis 9 July 2012 – 14 July 2012 Sponsored by Mathematical Sciences, Division of Science and Engineering Research Board at Bangalore India
Department of Science & Technology Government of India. (sponsored airfare-hotel accomodation-honorium)
2) Data Analytics using the Cloud- Challenges and Opportunities for India at 1st International Symposium on Big Data and Cloud Computing Challenges(ISBCC-2014) March 27-28, 2014 VIT University, Chennai, India Sponsored by BRNS (flight)
3) Open Source Analytics at OSSCamp 2014 http://osscamp.in/
4) Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics- Delhi Technological University Evolute 2015 : Annual Symposium Speaker
5) Talk on Analytics as a profession at Indian Institute of Technology Delhi
6) Data Analytics Summit at Delhi School of Economics https://decisionstats.com/2016/08/13/analytics-as-a-career/
Pre-Placement training workshop for Economics Students, Delhi School of Economics.
Data Science (Byte Academy New York)
Allianz Trivandrum October 9, 2016
- Jakarta, Indonesia
Training Bank of Danemon Employees for two weeks Dec 2017
- IIT Delhi
MDP lecture on R
Trained Great Lakes School of Management, Gurgaon (4 hours SAS)
1) First Big Data Conference -New York sponsored by Aster Data (flight-stay)
2) Data Mining 2009 Sponsored by SAS Institute ( flight-stay)
3) Judged hackathon in New York
1) Blogger of the Week Social Media Collective http://socialmediatoday.com/SMC/67268
2) Member of the Month (2 times) on Analyticbridge $250 awarded twice
Top Data Science Interview Questions For Budding Data Scientists
- Planning to build a career in analytics – SAS learning is important
- A Simple Analysis using R
- Why every business analyst needs to learn R?
- SAS Institute and friends in the business analytics industry
- SAS Training
- Analytics Training Part 2- What to look for in a business analytics course?
- Analytics Training-Part 1
- Need for Analytics in a MBA
- Career as an independent analytics consultant
- Why do some organizations still shy away from analytics?
- Executing Analytics Projects
- Some Good Code Habits in SAS Language Programming
- Finding An Analytics Job
- New analytical tools to watch out for
- How is analytics critical to business?
- Top Learning Resources to mastering the SAS language
- 10 tips to accelerate your career in analytics
- What is business analytics?
- A Career in Internet Marketing
- A Career in Marketing Financial Products
- A Career in Supply Chain Management
- A Career in Marketing Automobiles
- Career in Business Consulting, Exciting yet rewarding
- A Career in FMCG Sales & Market
- A Career in Private Equity & Venture Capital
- Make a promising career in Database Mining & Analytics
- Summer Internship and Market Research Projects
- Choosing a Coaching Institute for MBA Entrance Exams
- The Truth about Indian Business Schools
Adaptive Systems Blog
- Selecting the Right Software for Data Analytics and Data Integration Sep 2014 http://adaptivesystemsinc.com/blog/selecting-right-software-data-analytics-data-integration/
2. Predictive Analytics: Moving beyond the buzzword to the action June 2014 http://adaptivesystemsinc.com/blog/predictive-analytics-moving-beyond-buzzword-action/
- Data Integration and Data Cleaning Software http://adaptivesystemsinc.com/blog/data-integration-data-cleaning-software-reviews/
- From Napoleon to Tableau: A Brief History of Data Visualization as it evolved May 14, 2015
5.The Difference Between Econometric Modeling and Machine Learning April 7, 2015
- Microsoft buys itself an analytical Revolution… February 17, 2015
7.An Adaptive Approach for Handling Messy Big Data August 12, 2014
100 + interviews done in technology (see list at http://goo.gl/U5z7Li )
- Interview John Sall co-founder SAS and JMP http://www.statisticsviews.com/details/feature/8180721/Writing-code-helps-me-to-understand-the-development-process-so-that-I-can-make-b.html
- Interview Bradley Jones JMP http://www.statisticsviews.com/details/feature/8510051/For-me-the-fun-of-working-with-scientists-and-engineers-is-helping-them-generate.html
- Python Tutorial http://www.statisticsviews.com/details/feature/8868901/A-Tutorial-on-Python.html
- SAS Tutorial http://www.statisticsviews.com/details/feature/9692841/A-Tutorial-on-SAS-language.html
- Downsides Dampen Open-Source Analytics http://www.allanalytics.com/author.asp?section_id=1408&doc_id=233454 September 2011
- Big Data Initiatives in Developing Nations
- Book Review: Data Just Right 2014/04/03
- Exclusive Interview: Richard Socher, founder of etcML, Easy Text Classification Startup 2014/03/31
- Trifacta – Tackling Data Wrangling with Automation and Machine Learning 2014/03/17
- Paxata automates Data Preparation for Big Data Analytics 2014/03/07
- etcML Promises to Make Text Classification Easy 2014/03/05
- Wolfram Breakthrough Knowledge-based Programming Language – what it means for Data Science? 2014/03/02
- Using Python and R Together Dec 2015
- Interview: Florian Douetteau, Dataiku Founder, on Empowering Data ScientistsJuly 2016