We continued the 3 rd month without a sponsor for the R User Meetup group. I wish analytics companies in Gurgaon and Mumbai or even Hyderabad can help sponsor R users meetups, as we need to have more knowledge sharing culture here.
I am a bit disappointed by people who RSVP yes, but cancel out without letting us know.
Some additional insights-
1) Never hold meetup on cricket match day
2) location should be very close to Metro Station.
3) Saturdays will be the only meetup day for future. If I am unavailable, Dr Amir will be leading the Meetup.
Some more action points-
1) Ajay and Dr Amir to work together on a blog / site called R for Medical Researchers focused on Indian issues.
2) For Web Application developers, please see shiny package. I have written on the latest version of Shiny- but I would also like you to click on each of the 18 links I have written in this article. Shiny is great for statistically enabling web apps.
3) We will be uploading files and creating a slideshare for Delhi R Users. This will be our digital archive.
4) To start using R immediately use Rattle ( http://rattle.togaware.com/) especially if you build models or need to use data mining
5) To start using R for GIS and Spatial use Deducer with Spatial Plot Builder Plugin
6) To integrate R with C++ see the RCPP gallery with almost 100 plus packages dependent on it. This will be needed with Developers who are trying to use a faster version of R by using C++ . http://gallery.rcpp.org/
7) Web Analytics using R- is now updated for changes in Google APIs. https://decisionstats.com/2013/01/28/google-analytics-using-rstats-updated/
8) If you are new to programming or Ruby or Python please go to http://codeacdemy.com .
9) For a beginner in R use http://tryr.codeschool.com
Minutes of Meeting -courtesy Dr Amir
four people (Ajay, myself, Ashish and Nagesh) joined for the 3rd meetup today at around 4 pm at hauz khas village. Ashish and Nagesh are two new members who attended the meetup for the first time. Ashish is in web development with knowledge of python and perl. today he introduced the group about data scraping from web using Perl. Nagesh has a background in management and currently working with insurance company. he is planning to switch to R as it is free. he currently uses SAS. Ajay introduced GUIs like Rattle, Deducer; books (R for business analytics which he himself has authored and others like R for spss and sas users, data mining with r, rattle) and GADM for mapping. I introduced Coursera courses which is currently ongoing and which uses R and also the basics of R like packages, functions and strengths of R.
Ashish has volunteered to find a place for meetup in Green Park near the metro station as we are still struggling to get a decent place for our meetups.
Also – here is the meetup group for New Delhi R Users