Google AI + US military . Is it good, is it bad or is it evil
DoD’s Project Maven uses tech firm’s TensorFlow artificial intelligence systems, prompting debate both inside and outside company
Project Maven forms part of the $7.4bn spent on AI and data processing by the DoD, and has seen the Pentagon partner with various academics and experts in the field of AI and data processing. It has reportedly already been put into use against Islamic State.
A Google spokesperson said: “This specific project is a pilot with the Department of Defense, to provide open source TensorFlow APIs that can assist in object recognition on unclassified data. The technology flags images for human review, and is for non-offensive uses only.”
- Terrorists deserve to die
- Civilians should be spared from attacks
- Better image classification in drones can lead to better decisions on killing terrorists versus collateral deaths.
- Civilian deaths further the cause of terrorism
- Terrorists often embed them with civilians as shields to deter airstrikes
- What is the definition of evil?
WHO IS EVIL
- A civilian turns to a terrorist because his family was killed in a bad drone strike?
- A government diverts terrorism funds from terror funds to corruption?
- A government that keeps killing smaller number of terrorists based on events a decade ago to keep the military industrial complex in good shape for the next war?
- The computer scientist who created a classification algorithm to detect cancer tumors in MRI?
- The company that employs him and owns the algorithm , hands it to the government for killing people or any usage in return for money as well as help in anti -trust matters.
We live in the age of misinformation. Tweets, Shares, Likes , Comments, Social Media Spam cleverly and cunningly disguised to influence sentiment, amplify it or distort it, by both domestic and foreign actors using automated and manual methods.
The only way to counter social media manipulation is better big data social media analysis in real time. This includes better applications of topic models, sentiment analysis and correlation and association of words in text mining. Bag of words would fail alone.
Oft repeated lies become the truth
Repeat a lie often enough and it becomes the truth”, is a law of propaganda often attributed to the Nazi Joseph Goebbels. The 2016 election showed how critically timed social media news can damage fatally the candidacy of electoral candidates with little or no remedy in law. (It is not illegal to spread rumours in a foreign country).
Yet tech majors can help. With browser embedded plugins, they can analyze and scrutinize the sentiment, the polarity, the word association of a web page. With the added advantage of IP address lookups, the social media can be a fair place for news just like credit bureaus are fair places for credit ratings.
Unless you like Russian Hackers for the people, of the people, by the people.