The only issue is Rattle can be quite difficult to install due to dependencies on GTK+
After fiddling for a couple of years- this is what I did
1) Created dual boot OS- Basically downloaded the netbook remix from http://ubuntu.com I created a dual boot OS so you can choose at the beginning whether to use Windows or Ubuntu Linux in that session. Alternatively you can download VM Player www.vmware.com/products/player/ if you want to do both
2) Download R packages using Ubuntu packages and Install GTK+ dependencies before that.
GTK + Requires
If you are a Linux newbie like me who doesnt get the sudo apt get, tar, cd, make , install rigmarole – scoot over to synaptic software packages or just the main ubuntu software centre and download these packages one by one.
For R Dependencies, you need
Again use r-cran as the prefix to these package names and simply install (almost the same way Windows does it easily -double click)
4) Install Rattle from source
Advanced users can download the Rattle source packages directly:
Save theses to your hard disk (e.g., to your Desktop) but don’t extract them. Then, on GNU/Linux run the install command shown below. This command is entered into a terminal window:
- R CMD INSTALL rattle_2.6.0.tar.gz
5) Type library(rattle) and rattle.info to get messages on what R packages to update for a proper functioning
Rattle: Graphical interface for data mining using R.
Version 2.6.0 Copyright (c) 2006-2010 Togaware Pty Ltd.
Type 'rattle()' to shake, rattle, and roll your data.
Rattle: version 2.6.0
R: version 2.11.1 (2010-05-31) (Revision 52157)
Version: #41-Ubuntu SMP Wed Nov 24 10:18:49 UTC 2010
RGtk2: version 2.20.3
pmml: version 1.2.26
colorspace: version 1.0-1
cairoDevice: version 2.14
doBy: version 4.1.2
e1071: version 1.5-24
ellipse: version 0.3-5
foreign: version 0.8-41
gdata: version 2.8.1
gtools: version 2.6.2
gplots: version 2.8.0
gWidgetsRGtk2: version 0.0-69
Hmisc: version 3.8-3
kernlab: version 0.9-12
latticist: version 0.9-43
Matrix: version 0.999375-46
mice: version 2.4
network: version 1.5-1
nnet: version 7.3-1
party: version 0.9-99991
playwith: version 0.9-53
randomForest: version 4.5-36 upgrade available 4.6-2
rggobi: version 2.1.16
survival: version 2.36-2
XML: version 3.2-0
bitops: version 1.0-4.1
Upgrade the packages with:
Now upgrade whatever package rattle.info tells to upgrade.
This is much simpler and less frustrating than some of the other ways to install Rattle.
If all goes well, you will see this familiar screen popup when you type
- How to Set Up a Counter Strike Server for Linux (brighthub.com)
- Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal Alpha 1 out (ubuntu.com)