Tableau which has been making waves recntly with its great new data visualization tool announced a partner with my old friends at AsterData. Its really cool piece of data vis and very very fast on the desktop- so I can imagine what speed it can help with AsterData’s MPP Row and Column Zingbang AND Parallel Analytical Functions
Tableau and AsterData also share the common Stanfordian connection (but it seems software is divided quite equally between Stanford, Hardvard Dropouts and North Carolina )
It remains to be seen in this announcement how much each company can leverage the partnership or whether it turns like the SAS Institute- AsterData partnership last year or whether it is just to announce connectors in their software to talk to each other.
See a Tableau vis at
AsterData remains the guys with the potential but I would be wrong to say MapReduce–SQL is as hot in December 2010 as it was in June 2009- and the elephant in the room would be Hadoop. That and Google’s continued shyness from encashing its principal comptency of handling Big Data (but hush – I signed a NDA with the Google Prediction API– so things maaaay change very rapidly on ahem that cloud)
Disclaimer- AsterData was my internship sponsor during my winter training while at Univ of Tenn.
- Aster Data and Cloudera Partner to Couple Industry-leading Analytical Database and Hadoop Solutions (prweb.com)
- Aster Data Hosting Big Data Insights Summit 2010, Chicago to Highlight Innovative New Solutions and Trends in Big Data Management and Advanced Analytics (prweb.com)
- Partnering with Cloudera (dbms2.com)
- Exclusive Interview: Quentin Gallivan, Aster Data (arnoldit.com)
- Aster Data Raises Another $30 Million To Help Manage Big Data (techcrunch.com)
- WikiLeaks Cable Gate: the Visualizations and the Infographics (infosthetics.com)