- Copy an idea from existing product. Make worse interface, but give more freebies. Do not charge money ( or charge vastly reduced ). Launch without warning.
- Write a blog post every three month on the launched product
- Watch product lose money as they did not charge any/some money to begin with.
- Close the product down without warning.
Tag: Google Reader
2010 in review and WP-Stats
The following is an auto generated post thanks to WordPress.com stats team- clearly they have got some stuff wrong
1) Defining the speedometer quantitatively
2) The busiest day numbers are plain wrong ( 2 views ??)
3) There is still no geographic data in WordPress -com stats (unlike Google Analytics) and I cant enable Google Analytics on a wordpress.com hosted site.
The stats helper monkeys at WordPress.com mulled over how this blog did in 2010, and here’s a high level summary of its overall blog health:
The Blog-Health-o-Meter™ reads Wow.
The Louvre Museum has 8.5 million visitors per year. This blog was viewed about 97,000 times in 2010. If it were an exhibit at The Louvre Museum, it would take 4 days for that many people to see it.
In 2010, there were 367 new posts, growing the total archive of this blog to 1191 posts. There were 411 pictures uploaded, taking up a total of 121mb. That’s about 1 pictures per day.
The busiest day of the year was September 22nd with 2 views. The most popular post that day was Top 10 Graphical User Interfaces in Statistical Software.
Where did they come from?
The top referring sites in 2010 were r-bloggers.com, reddit.com, rattle.togaware.com, twitter.com, and Google Reader.
Some visitors came searching, mostly for libre office, facebook analytics, test drive a chrome notebook, test drive a chrome notebook., and wps sas lawsuit.
Attractions in 2010
These are the posts and pages that got the most views in 2010.
Top 10 Graphical User Interfaces in Statistical Software April 2010
8 comments and 1 Like on WordPress.com,
Wealth = function (numeracy, memory recall) December 2009
1 Like on WordPress.com,
Matlab-Mathematica-R and GPU Computing September 2010
1 Like on WordPress.com,
About DecisionStats July 2008
The Top Statistical Softwares (GUI) May 2010
1 comment and 1 Like on WordPress.com,
- Google Chrome Extension To Check WordPress.com Stats (techie-buzz.com)
Why do bloggers blog ?
Step 1 is to create internal motivation to create a blog in the first place
Step 2 is to find what to write
Reasons Bloggers Blog-
Examples- I hate Facebook Platform team treats me badly with waits, and breaks my code.
SAS Marketing wont give me a big discount to make me look good in front of my boss.
Companies wont give me their software for free- even though I will use it to make money (and not play X Box)
I want my vendors to be FOSS but my customers to switch to SaaS.
Google wont do this- Apple wont do that- Microsoft wont do those.
Revolution would give me 4 great packages but not the open source for RevoScaler (which only 300 people would understand in the first place)
I better kiss the Professor and give a Turkey for dinner, as he sits on my thesis committee.
I will recommend Prof X’s lousy book in the hope he recommends my lousy book as a textbook too.
It is safe to laugh when the boss is making a joke-I should comment on her corporate blog, and retweet her.
I belong to this great online community of smart people. Let me agree to what they say.
I really believe in EVERYTHING that ALL the 2 MILLION members of the community have to say ALL the TIME.
I belong to this online community because all my friends are on my computer.
My blog page rank is now X plus delta tau because of sugary key words (2004)
My technorati numbers rise (2005)
I was once on Digg (2007)
I have Z * exp N followers on Twitter and even more on Facebook (2008)
My Klout is increasing on twitter, My stack overflow reputation ‘s cup floweth over. (2009)
My Karma on Reddit is more important than my Karma in real life (2010)
I got time to kill- and I think I may learn more, meet intersting people and discover something wandering on the internet.
All those who wonder are not lost- Wikiquote
I got a story to tell, poems to write, code to give away. A free Blog is something a Chinese , an Iranian and a North korean really really know what the value is.
But after all that, WHY Do Bloggers Blog?
- Because we are still waiting for Facebook to create the Blog Killer.
- Its better than saying I am unemployed and a social loner
- Reddit Karma feels good. Any Karma of any kind.
- Calling BS on Klout and the Concept of Influencers (mizzinformation.com)
- Overheard on #Blogchat: The Next Level (@tc_geeks) (blogworld.com)
- Why Facebook and Twitter Are Not Replacing Blogging (dannybrown.me)
- Report: Blogging Falls to Facebook and Twitter (socialtimes.com)
- Facebook and Twitter have become indispensable to bloggers (venturebeat.com)
- Whaddya Mean-Blogging is Dead? (janetfouts.com)
- (VIDEO) Microblogging vs. Blogging: Is There a Battle? (blogher.com)