Here is a list of cartoonists I follow- I sometimes think they make more sense than all the news media combined.
1) Mike Luckovich He is a Pulitzer Prize winning cartoonist for AJC at http://blogs.ajc.com/mike-luckovich/
I love his political satire-sometimes not his politics- though he is a liberal (surprisingly most people from creative arts tend to be liberal- guess because they support and need welfare more, 🙂 ) Since I am in India- I call myself a conservative (when filing taxes) or liberal (when drinking er tea)
2) Hugh Mcleod- of Gaping Void is very different from Mike above, in the way an abstract painter would be from a classical
artist. I like his satire on internet, technology and personal favorite – social media consultants. Hugh casts a critical eye on the world of tech and is an immensely successful artist- probably the Andy Warhol of this genre in a generation.
3) Doug Savage of Savage Chickens http://www.savagechickens.com/ has a great series of funny cartoons based on chickens drawn on Post it notes. While his drawing is less abstract than Hugh’s above, he sometimes touches an irreverent note more like Hugh than anyone else.
4) Professor Jorge Cham of Phd Comics http://www.phdcomics.com/comics.php is probably the most read comic in grad school – and probably the only cartoonist with a Phd I know of.
5) Scott Adams of Dilbert http://www.dilbert.com/ is probably the first “non kid stuff” cartoonist I started reading-in fact I once wrote to him asking for advice on my poetry to his credit- he replied with a single ” Best of Luck email”
They named our email server in Lucknow, UP, India for him (in my business school at http://iiml.ac.in ) Probably the best of corporate toon humor. Maybe they should make the Dilbert movie yet.
6) Randall Munroe of xkcd.com
XKCD is geek cartooning at its best.
For catching up with the best toons in a week, the best is Time.com ‘s weekly list at http://www.time.com/time/cartoonsoftheweek
It is the best collection of political cartoons.
- An Obama Presidency May Be Rough Going for Political Cartoonists [Obama Era] (gawker.com)
- Palling Around With Monuments [This Thing Looks Like That Thing] (gawker.com)
- the microaudience: the mot likely way to make money on the internet (gapingvoid.com)
- Cartoon(ist) of the Week – Joel Pett (underthelobsterscope.wordpress.com)
- Sweden suicide bombings: I’m a constant target, says cartoonist – Telegraph.co.uk (news.google.com)
- Indy cartoonist elated to find torrents of his work (boingboing.net)
- Six Cartoonists Tour Afghanistan w/USO (waronterrornews.typepad.com)
- Dilbert & Medicine (ivor-kovic.com)
- Nigerian Cartoonist Tayo Fatunla (theworld.org)