The concept of social media is different for different people- some view it as a revolution enabling people to communicate world wide, others view it as a new marketing media, while some of us wonder what the big fuss is all about.
Here are some ways to spread content/marketing communication using Social Media-
1) RSS – Really Simple Syndication has effectively proven a challenge to content creators as well as search engines.Using it effectively can make it a very nice and user friendly way to spread the words you write.
- Newsletters- I use both Feedblitz ( for historical reasons) and my default feed is Google Feedburner. Google feedburner is useful especially for content leaching and security. I also like to track how people read the newsletter and Feedblitz is very good in that, but if the RSS feed is used by a RSS reader then Feedburner does a better job of tracking IMO.Note Linkedin now has a good feature for Announcements that does the same thing.
- Linkedin News – In the Linkedin Group created for your Blog ( if not, do it.now) There is an option for News – add your RSS feed there for people/visitors to read it.
- Facebook- Use the Facebook application called Facebook Notes for spreading your content to all your connections every time you write a post.
- Linkedin WordPress Application- This updates your Linkedin profile for latest posts. Very useful for link seekers like me who have 8000+ Linkedin connections ( Note I have got 4 contracts and multiple knowledge opportunities through the links there- In a hyper Linked world every one needs as many links they can get)
2) Thid Party Sites- Create a Page to Drop Links or Create a Community to Exchange Comments/Views
- Create a Facebook Page for your site and also add similar pages for Favourites- Like a FB analogy for Blogroll( Example –
Join ours at http://www.facebook.com/pages/DecisionStats/191421035186
- Create a Linkedin Group ( if not done so already)
Join Decisionstats at http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=54257
3) Twitter- Use the RSS in Step 1 ( Preferably use Feedburner than the raw xml feed to help you track) and add it to www.twitterfeed.com for automated posting of your content.
4) Use Customized Widgets- I recommend the one at Add to Any WordPress Plugin to help your readers share it on – and you CAN tweak the colors here –
5) WordPress- The latest version of WordPress is available at both Simple Scripts ( for Self Hosted) and at www.wordpress.org
Use it for a better looking website/blog. Using custom themes and Akismet with Bad Behaviour plugins guarantees security. For more tips on WordPress security see www.dullest.com
6) Use it or Lose it-
- Using Facebook has helped me maintain contacts with SCHOOL Friends
- Linkedin has helped me like n Online Rolodex
- Twitter – I am still trying to figure it out but it is fun.
Hope that helps. Have a great Memorial Day weekend in the US- those vets have helped the world stay free in Europe, Africa and Asia as well