After writing code for the whole world, Indian DoD (Department of Defense) has decided to start making it’s own Operating System citing cyber security. Presumably they know all about embedded code in chips, sneak kill code routines in dependent packages in operating system, and would not be using Linus Trovald’s original kernel (maybe the website was hacked to insert a small call k function😉
as the ancient Chinese said- May you live in interesting times. Still cyber wars are better than real wars- and StuxNet virus is but a case study why countries can kill enemy plans without indulging in last century tactics.
Source-Manick Sorcar, The great Indian magician
BANGALORE: India would develop its own futuristic computer operating system to thwart attempts of cyber attacks and data theft and things of that nature, a top defence scientist said.
Dr V K Saraswat, Scientific Adviser to the Defence Minister, said the DRDO has just set up a software development centre each here and in Delhi, with the mandate develop such a system. This “national effort” would be spearheaded by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) in partnership with software companies in and around Bangalore, Hyderabad and Delhi as also academic institutions like Indian Institute of Science Bangalore and IIT Chennai, among others.
“There are many gaps in our software areas; particularly we don’t have our own operating system,” said Saraswat, also Director General of DRDO and Secretary, Defence R & D. India currently uses operating systems developed by western countries.
Read more: Security threat: DRDO to make own OS – The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/tech/news/software-services/Security-threat-DRDO-to-make-own-OS/articleshow/6719375.cms#ixzz1227Y3oHg
- Indian Military Organization To Develop Its Own OS (tech.slashdot.org)
- Embraer aircraft with Indian warning system to fly by 2011 (topinews.com)
- India developing unmanned combat air vehicle using Embraer of Brazil’s aircraft (induslatin.com)
- Global Knowledge Supports Cyber Security Awareness Month with Discounted Cyber Security Training (eon.businesswire.com)
- Department of Homeland Security Renews SRI Contract for Support of the Cyber Security Research and Development Center (prnewswire.com)