And so we decided one day , that our website is going astray.
We brushed off our HTML help, only to mess up website ourself
CSS,Java, Widgets, Themes,linkware,Copyright Policy
Ever felt so overwhelmed by trying to create a website that you
1) handed some hard earned money to smoother talking web designer
2) didnot make the website at all.
I am not talking about professional or organization websites who truly deserve the aesthetic value that comes from customized design , and functions. I am talking of people who need more serious platforms than blogs and wont ever , ever make money out of it..and didnot want to earn money from the website anyways.
Well basic steps to make a website are in the January 2008 Post— https://decisionstats.com/2008/20-steps-to-creating-a-website-business/
This new post now talks about revamping design of neglected websites without neglecting too much quality time for yourself and family. We are assuming you used wordpress because its the fastest SEO enabled content software for smaller websites.
Select and upload your wordpress theme from the official site itself- http://themes.wordpress.net/
A) modifying wordpress themes-
Its painful but should be done.
Try going the widget route.
If your new pretty wordpress theme is not widget enabled ,try these three steps
superbly mentioned here-
1) create functions.php by pasting these lines
if ( function_exists(‘register_sidebar’) )
into a notepad file and
saving it as use qutation marks “functions.php” “
And then upload to the wp-content/themes/”pretty theme in this case” folder .
upload using the filezilla software mentioned in https://decisionstats.com/2008/20-steps-to-creating-a-website-business/ .
2) Add Widgets to Dynamic Sidebar – go to design -theme- “pretty theme in question “-widgets using the new wordpress dashboard. Now use whatever widgets you want including pasting custom stuff like adsense,feedburner forms , in the text widgets.
3)Add Dynamic Sidebar to Template -go to design -theme- “pretty theme in question “-edit theme
Paste this in the sidebar.php
<?php if ( !function_exists(‘dynamic_sidebar’)
|| !dynamic_sidebar() ) : ?>
<?php endif; ?>
B) Using some HTML help for tweaking fonts within the theme
The following site is good for basic HTML copy and paste tweaking. http://www.w3schools.com/HTML/html_fonts.asp
3) Knowing when to stop designing the pretty website. If you need more help, call a professional but with more money. If you are taking more than 1 week with dedicated 1 hour daily or 7 work hours, call in a pro or change to a new wordpress theme.
And speaking of fun and simple websites please check out www.thadguy.com who have great cartoons and very nice linking policy as well.