Definition-(of an image, video, piece of information, etc.) circulated rapidly and widely from one Internet user to another.
- Channels– Some content goes viral on some particular channels (like 4chan, or Tumblr) while gets ignored on other social media channels
- Content – the type of content should match the audience type (technical or non technical) and channel used for dissemination (like Pinterest or Tumble for images)
- Celebrity– Getting a celebrity (say with high enough influence score) endorsement greatly helps viral content to reach beyond initial network
- Credibility or Network Effects- People find it easier to like or share content which is already proved to be a viral content or beyond a certain threshold. Some people would like the content if it already is very successful.
- Customers -Content consumers can be influencers, sharers, innovators, or passive. It is critical to meet a certain threshold of certain customer types to hit viral counts.
- Context– One man’s viral content is another man’s spam.
- Circulation – How easy is it to circulate the content? to share it or show appreciation? to add customized comments? This affects viral nature- though it is mostly a function of hosting website than the content itself
\bonus the 8th C – Cuteness and Catiness – On the internet cute babies and cats rule in a duo-poly