Background- I wrote this as an accident while trolling on Quora. I was not confident of what I wrote- in fact I wrote it anonymous except people kept asking me why! It was pure serendipity- I wrote it less than 4 minutes and submitted without thinking. Then edited once based on feedback.
Some one clearly more smarter than me made my tips for writing into a picture http://amandaonwriting.tumblr.com/post/54265230509
and it went popular on Tumblr just like it did on Quora!
Apparently if some guy like Wil Wheaton likes your words, it can go viral! It has 41799 notes ( reblogs+hearts) on Tumblr as of now.
Words . Reposted by a member of STAR TREK:NG. I can now die a happy Geek! The Internet is a funny thing!
Thank you everyone! Now if only Google learnt to include OCR for Images as part of text search!
- Write 50 words . That’s a paragraph.
- Write 400 words . That’s a page.
- Write 300 pages. That’s a manuscript.
- Write everyday. That’s a habit.
- Edit and Rewrite. That’s how you get better.
- Spread your writing for people to comment. That’s called feedback.
- Dont worry about rejection or publication. That’s a writer.
- When not writing, read. Read from writers better than you. Read and Perceive.
But overall, just write more to get better.
1887+ votes on Quora!! :) Probably my most viewed content ever- !
61036 people have viewed this answer!
Also it got a mention here-
Now I think I should take some of my own advice and get back to writing
- The publisher adds credibility to your work
- A self fulfilling prophecy where researchers want to publish in exclusive journals and closed -access books, for the sole reason that others did so as well before them and thereby donate their knowledge and money to the publisher
The dichotomy in being a writer on open source with a non-open access publisher?
- I write on open source R ,
- and I have been published (one book )
- and am on contract to write two more ( R for Cloud Computing) and (R for Web and Social Media Analytics)
- My publisher does have open access journals.
- But the book is at $50. Most of India lives at less than 2$ per day. Thats 800 million people in my country alone.
But the publisher is the most reputed in this field. So what are my choices? How do I get more people to have choices to read books.
Take open knowledge , curate it, and turn it behind a $50 paywall. I am sorry, Aaron. People like me are the reason ……
This is a fairly concise collection on how to write a technical book. It may seem arrogant for a 1- book author like me to do so, but I get a lot of queries on this and it seems there is a fair amount of information asymmetry on this process. I have experience with getting rejected and accepted in both creative and technology domains, but I will make this post fairly tech specific.
Books I have Written-(click on images to go to the book site)
Poetry (Self Published)