Home » Posts tagged 'torrent'
Tag Archives: torrent
I really liked the software Qbittorent available from http://www.qbittorrent.org/ I think bit torrents should be the default way of sharing huge content especially software downloads. For protecting intellectual property there should be much better codes and software keys than presently available.
The qBittorrent project aims to provide a Free Software alternative to µtorrent. Additionally, qBittorrent runs and provides the same features on all major platforms (Linux, Mac OS X, Windows, OS/2, FreeBSD).
qBittorrent is based on Qt4 toolkit and libtorrent-rasterbar.
qBittorrent v2 Features
- Polished µTorrent-like User Interface
- Well-integrated and extensible Search Engine
- Simultaneous search in most famous BitTorrent search sites
- Per-category-specific search requests (e.g. Books, Music, Movies)
- All Bittorrent extensions
- DHT, Peer Exchange, Full encryption, Magnet/BitComet URIs, …
- Remote control through a Web user interface
- Nearly identical to the regular UI, all in Ajax
- Advanced control over trackers, peers and torrents
- Torrents queueing and prioritizing
- Torrent content selection and prioritizing
- UPnP / NAT-PMP port forwarding support
- Available in ~25 languages (Unicode support)
- Torrent creation tool
- Advanced RSS support with download filters (inc. regex)
- Bandwidth scheduler
- IP Filtering (eMule and PeerGuardian compatible)
- IPv6 compliant
- Sequential downloading (aka “Download in order”)
- Available on most platforms: Linux, Mac OS X, Windows, OS/2, FreeBSDSo if you are new to Bit Torrents- here is a brief tutorialSome terminology from
- A tracker is a server that keeps track of which seeds and peers are in the swarm.
- A Seed is used to refer to a peer who has 100% of the data. When a leech obtains 100% of the data, that peer automatically becomes a Seed.
- A peer is one instance of a BitTorrent client running on a computer on the Internet to which other clients connect and transfer data.
- A leech is a term with two meanings. Primarily leech (or leeches) refer to a peer (or peers) who has a negative effect on the swarm by having a very poor share ratio (downloading much more than they upload, creating a ratio less than 1.0)1) Download and install the software from http://www.qbittorrent.org/2) If you want to search for new files, you can use the nice search features in here3) If you want to CREATE new bit torrents- go to Tools -Torrent Creator4) For sharing content- just seed the torrent you just created. What is seeding – hey did you read the terminology in the beginning?5) Additionally -From
Trackers: Below are some popular public trackers. They are servers which help peers to communicate.
Here are some good trackers you can use:
- When a file is new, much time can be wasted because the seeding client might send the same file piece to many different peers, while other pieces have not yet been downloaded at all. Some clients, like ABC, Vuze, BitTornado, TorrentStorm, and µTorrent have a “super-seed” mode, where they try to only send out pieces that have never been sent out before, theoretically making the initial propagation of the file much faster. However the super-seeding becomes less effective and may even reduce performance compared to the normal “rarest first” model in cases where some peers have poor or limited connectivity. This mode is generally used only for a new torrent, or one which must be re-seeded because no other seeds are available.
- Note- you use this tutorial and any or all steps at your own risk. I am not legally responsible for any mishaps you get into. Please be responsible while being an efficient bit tor renter. That means respecting individual property rights.
Lets assume that the big bad world of American electoral politics forces some kind of modified SOPA to be passed, and the big American companies have to abide by that law (just as they do share data for National Security under Patriot Act but quitely).
I belive Opera Unite is the way forward to sharing content on the Internet.
Opera Unite features a Web server running inside the Opera browser, which allows you to do some amazing things. At the touch of a button, you can share images, documents, video, music, games, collaborative applications and all manner of other things with your friends and colleagues
I can share music, and files , and the web server is actually my own laptop. try beating 2 billion new web servers that sprout!! File system sharing is totally secure- you can create private, public, or password protected files, a messaging system that can be used for drop messages (called fridge), a secure messaging system and your own web server is ready to start at a click. the open web may just use opera instead of chromium, and US regulation would be solely to blame. even URL blocking is of limited appeal thanks to software like MafiaWire Extension
Throw in Ad block, embedded bit torrent sharing and some more Tor level encryption within the browser and sorry Senator, but the internet belongs to the planet not to your lobbyist.
I love the new Google Takeout. Just take out all the data stored within Google and download.
and unlike Facebook – it kind of builds this almost within a minute thus showing they are serious on privacy. Facebook takes too long to build the archive.
I would also prefer to download the data as a torrent or anything which is resumable if the connection breaks
yet another preview of Google +