Home » Posts tagged 'meetup'
Tag Archives: meetup
We continued the 3 rd month without a sponsor for the R User Meetup group. I wish analytics companies in Gurgaon and Mumbai or even Hyderabad can help sponsor R users meetups, as we need to have more knowledge sharing culture here.
I am a bit disappointed by people who RSVP yes, but cancel out without letting us know.
Some additional insights-
1) Never hold meetup on cricket match day
2) location should be very close to Metro Station.
3) Saturdays will be the only meetup day for future. If I am unavailable, Dr Amir will be leading the Meetup.
Some more action points-
1) Ajay and Dr Amir to work together on a blog / site called R for Medical Researchers focused on Indian issues.
2) For Web Application developers, please see shiny package. I have written on the latest version of Shiny- but I would also like you to click on each of the 18 links I have written in this article. Shiny is great for statistically enabling web apps.
3) We will be uploading files and creating a slideshare for Delhi R Users. This will be our digital archive.
4) To start using R immediately use Rattle ( http://rattle.togaware.com/) especially if you build models or need to use data mining
5) To start using R for GIS and Spatial use Deducer with Spatial Plot Builder Plugin
6) To integrate R with C++ see the RCPP gallery with almost 100 plus packages dependent on it. This will be needed with Developers who are trying to use a faster version of R by using C++ . http://gallery.rcpp.org/
7) Web Analytics using R- is now updated for changes in Google APIs. http://decisionstats.com/2013/01/28/google-analytics-using-rstats-updated/
8) If you are new to programming or Ruby or Python please go to http://codeacdemy.com .
9) For a beginner in R use http://tryr.codeschool.com
Minutes of Meeting -courtesy Dr Amir
four people (Ajay, myself, Ashish and Nagesh) joined for the 3rd meetup today at around 4 pm at hauz khas village. Ashish and Nagesh are two new members who attended the meetup for the first time. Ashish is in web development with knowledge of python and perl. today he introduced the group about data scraping from web using Perl. Nagesh has a background in management and currently working with insurance company. he is planning to switch to R as it is free. he currently uses SAS. Ajay introduced GUIs like Rattle, Deducer; books (R for business analytics which he himself has authored and others like R for spss and sas users, data mining with r, rattle) and GADM for mapping. I introduced Coursera courses which is currently ongoing and which uses R and also the basics of R like packages, functions and strengths of R.Ashish has volunteered to find a place for meetup in Green Park near the metro station as we are still struggling to get a decent place for our meetups.
Also – here is the meetup group for New Delhi R Users
The R Users of New Delhi met for the second time on Dec 15, 2012. We meet on the third Saturday of every month.
We talked on epidemiology using epi calc package ( we have 1 doctor and 1 bio statistician) , and Cloud Computing ( we have two IT guys) and Business Analytics. We also discussed the GUI , R Commander , Rattle, and Deducer for beginners and people transitioning to R from other analytics software. We also discussed the R for SAS and SPSS Users books, and R for Data Mining Book. The free book for R for Epidemiology ( http://cran.r-project.org/doc/contrib/Epicalc_Book.pdf ) was mentioned . Not bad for 1 hour.
We are currently unfunded and unsponsored , I hope to get some sponsors to give away R books to encourage users and group members (excluding my own). The only catch to join this meetup group, you either need to attend (and be local) or present something ( if you are not in Delhi)
I have been trying to get this group to go from Vector to Matrix to get a bigger sponsorship from Revolution , but I am constrained by meeting in a public cafe. That is due to change since we managed to get one sponsor for meeting place in Noida ( a Business School batchmate who owns his office)
Deadlines for applications are:
- March 31, 2013 for Matrix and Array level groups.
- September 30, 2013 for Vector level groups.
2013 Sponsorship Levels
The size of the annual grant depends on the size of your group.
|Level||For groups that are:||Requirements||Annual Grant ($USD)|
|Vector||Just getting started||A group name, group webpage, and a focus on R. (Here are some tips on starting up a new R user group.)||$100|
|Matrix||Smaller but established||3 meetings in last 6 months with 30 attendees or more.||$500|
|Array||Larger and groups||3 meetings in last 6 months with 60 attendees or more.||$1000|
- New Delhi R User group meets up (decisionstats.com)
Inspired by David Smith ‘s blog post at http://blog.revolutionanalytics.com/2012/10/r-user-group-sponsorship-applications-open-for-2013.html I set up a meetup group for New Delhi at http://www.meetup.com/New-Delhi-R-UseR-Group/ ( India to my surprise has only 1 R user meetup group before this in Bangalore). The first meeting was awesome, we met in a cafe, and the plan going forward is to cover cross domain learning and collaboration on tools, startups, mashups and training.
Hopefully we can reach out to analytics enthusiasts in Mumbai and Chennai to help kickstart the R User groups. Indian companies like Mu Sigma have been using R more and more in analytics (offshoring). You can even use the sponsorship from Revolution Analytics to start your meetup group , Meetup.com gives you a 50% discount if you pay 6 months in advance, and given Oracle’s and IBM/Google\s big Indian presence I hope they lend a hand to User groups for R in India as well.