Home » Posts tagged 'internet security'
Tag Archives: internet security
This is a ten step program to fight hacking attacks. You may or may not choose to ignore it, laugh at it, or ponder on it.
1) Internet security is a billion dollar business which will only grow in size as cloud computing approaches. Pioneers in providing security will earn considerable revenue like McAffee , Norton did in the PC era. Incidentally it also means the consulting/partner group that is willing to work with virtual workers and virtual payments to offshore consultants.
2) Industrial espionage has existed from the days the West stole Gunpowder and Silk formula from China (and China is now doing the same to its software). The company and country will the best hackers will win. Keep your team motivated mate, or it is very easy for them to defect to the other side of the (cyber) wall.
3) When 2 billion people have access to internet the number of hackers will grow in number and quality much more rapidly than when only 100 million people across the world had access. Thanks to Google Translate, Paypal, Skype video Call, Tor Project, and Google Voice i can and have collaborative with hackers almost in all geographies. You can only imagine what the black hats are doing.
4) Analyzing hackers is like reading Chinese Tea Leaves. If you have experienced analysts, you will slip up. recruit the hackers in the dormitory before China recruits them using Lulz Security as a bogus cover. or USA recruits them as cover for spreading democracy in the Arab countries.
5) get your website audited for security breaches. sponsor a hack my website contest. before someone else does it for you.
6) Fighting hackers was always tough. But now we have part time hackers , people with perfectly respectable jobs who look like Mr Andersen and hack like Neo from the Matrix. Every kid once wanted to be a firefighter. Every geek dreams of the one ultimate hack.
7) if you cant beat hackers, join them.
8) the more machine data is generated, the more you need external experts and newer software interfaces. Investing in open data, datasets is good. Keeping Bradley manning naked in his cell is bad. ignore the bad PR at your own cost.
9) Stop blaming China for every hack attack. You are a techie not a politician
10) Hack hard. Hack well. If someone hacks you, you will need to hack them off offensively unless you just want to be an easy mark for the rest of your lives. Counter -hacking expertise needs to be strengthened and groomed. hacking is an offense not just a defense game.
Here is a Data Mining Presentation by Dr Vincent Granville at M 2009.
I could not see the presentation as I know him only through remote internet communication, but he did recommend me on LinkedIn and for my application for the University of Tennessee.
here is the presentation on the docs on Google DOCs
How’s Paris doing.
The download is also available here.
ppps- He is the same person whom I worked last winter as a research ass is tant and got paid 28 cents per 1000 rows for all the statisticians in the world – read more about that here