Home » Posts tagged 'India' (Page 2)
Tag Archives: India
I have been busy-
1) Finally my divorce came through. My advice – dont do it without a pre-nup ! Alimony means all the money.
2) Spending time on Quora after getting bored from LinkedIn, Twitter,Facebook,Google Plus,Tumblr, WordPress
See this answer to-
1) we will change the world
2) if we get 1% of a billion people market, we will be rich
3) if we have got funding, most of the job is done
4) lets pay ourselves high salaries since we got funded
5) our idea is awesome and cant be copied, improvised, stolen, replicated
6) startups are painless
7) it is a better life than a corporate career
8) long term vision is important than short term cash burn
9) we will never sell out or exit. never
10) its a great idea to make startups with friend
Say hello to me – http://www.quora.com/Ajay-Ohri/answers
3) Writing freelance articles on APIs for Programmable Web
Why write pro? See point 1)
4) Writing poetry on http://poemsforkush.com/. It now gets 23000 views a month. I wish I could say my poems were great, but the readers are kind (364 subscribers!) and also Google Image Search is very very kind.
5) Kicking tires with next book ” R for Cloud Computing” and be tuned for another writing announcement
6) Waiting for Paul Kent, VP, SAS Big Data to reply to my emails for interview after HE promised me!! You dont get to 105 interviews without being a bit stubborn!
7) Sighing on politics engulfing my American friends especially with regards to Chic-fil-A and Romney’s gaffes. Now thats what I call a first world problem! Protesting by eating or boycotting chicken sandwiches! In India we had the world’s biggest blackout two days in a row- and no one is attending the Hunger Fast against corruption protests!
8) Watching Olympics! Our glorious nation of 1.2 billion very smart people has managed to win 1 Bronze till today!! Michael Phelps has won more medals and more gold than the whole of India has since the Olympics Games began!!
9) Consulting to pay the bills. includes writing R code, making presentations. Why consult when I have writing to do? See point 1)
10) Reading New York Times to get insights on Big Data and Analytics. Trust them- they know what they are doing!
Software piracy exists because-
1) Lack of appropriate technological controls (like those on DVDs) or on Bit Torrents (an innovation on the centralized server like Napster) or on Streaming etc etc.
Technology to share content has evolved at a much higher pace than technology to restrict content from being shared or limited to purchasers.
2) Huge difference in purchasing power across the globe.
An Itunes song at 99 cents might be okay buy in USA, but in Asia it is very expensive. Maybe if content creators use Purchasing Power Parity to price their goods, it might make an indent.
3) State sponsored intellectual theft as another form of economic warfare- this has been going on since the West stole gunpowder and silk from the Chinese, and Intel decided to win back the IP rights to the microprocessor (from the Japanese client)
4) Lack of consensus in policy makers across the globe on who gets hurt from IP theft, but complete consensus across young people in the globe that they are doing the right thing by downloading stuff for free.
5) There is no such thing as a free lunch. Sometimes software (and movie and songs) piracy help create demand across ignored markets – I always think the NFL can be huge in India if they market it.Sometimes it forces artists to commit suicide because they give up on the life of starving musician.
Mostly piracy has helped break profits of intermediaries between the actual creator and actual consumer.
So how to solve software piracy , assuming it is something that can be solved-
I dont know, but I do care.
I give most of my writings as CC-by-SA and that includes my poems. People (friends and family) sometimes pay me not to sing.
Pirates have existed and will exist as long as civilized men romanticize the notion of piracy and bicker between themselves for narrow gains.
- Ephesians 4:28 Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need.
- A clean confession, combined with a promise never to commit the sin again, when offered before one who has the right to receive it, is the purest type of repentance.-Gandhi
- If you steal, I will wash your mouth with soap- Anonymous Mother.
- You shall not steal- Moses
- Steal may refer to: Theft, the illegal taking of another person’s property without that person’s freely-given consent; The gaining of a stolen base in baseball;
going being sponsored to a Government of India sponsored talk on Big Data Analytics at Bangalore on Friday the 13 th of July. If you are in Bangalore, India you may drop in for a dekko. Schedule and Abstracts (i am on page 7 out 9) .
Your tax payer money is hard at work- (hassi majak only if you are a desi. hassi to fassi.)
13 July 2012 (9.30 – 11.00 & 11.30 – 1.00)
Big Data Big Analytics
The talk will showcase using open source technologies in statistical computing for big data, namely the R programming language and its use cases in big data analysis. It will review case studies using the Amazon Cloud, custom packages in R for Big Data, tools like Revolution Analytics RevoScaleR package, as well as the newly launched SAP Hana used with R. We will also review Oracle R Enterprise. In addition we will show some case studies using BigML.com (using Clojure) , and approaches using PiCloud. In addition it will showcase some of Google APIs for Big Data Analysis.
Lastly we will talk on social media analysis ,national security use cases (i.e. cyber war) and privacy hazards of big data analytics.
Web users in India are once again able to access video and file-sharing sites, including The Pirate Bay.The country’s Madras High Court has changed its earlier censorship order which centred on the issue of internet copyright
It states that only specific web addresses – URLs – carrying the pirated content should be blocked, but not the entire website.
“The order of interim injunction dated 25/04/2012 is hereby clarified that the interim injunction is granted only in respect of a particular URL where the infringing movie is kept and not in respect of the entire website,” reads the updated decision.
So okay, I was a bit harsh here . I apologize.
Anonymous India is doing a protest (on a Saturday which is mostly an off in the Tech Industry in India)
The Indian govt-judiciary-pvt ISPs are blocking the Internet-particularly PirateBay (and OTHER sites).
You can access these sites by going through Amazon AWS.
You can read how to configure an Amazon AWS Windows Instance for free here. Free as in free speech but not as free beer
You can attach your Amazon Windows Instance to your local drive here. See screenshot
Basically you edit the RDP file (Remote Desktop File) as below.
You can then download the torrent from Amazon to your local drive like this.
and you can now click on torrent to start your downloads like this.
Note- Pirate Bay is just a search engine for Torrents- the basic data is peer to peer.
You should change your default password in Windows which you got here-
The cyber -group known as Anonymous has now decided to fight for internet freedom for my 1.2 billion countrymen (India)
So in operation India they go and knock some websites off. The immediate provocation-
1) Legal System prevented access to Pirate Bay (and other sites)
This as per Anons restricts the freedom of glorious motherland of India (which incidentally does have a high number of engineers).
A slight modification to using violence (like DDOS) is to use non violence-this approach is use the free tier at Amazon EC2-http://aws.amazon.com/free/ and sign up and start the windows tier
AWS Free Usage Tier (Per Month): ( only if your torrents are going to be less than 15 gb a month!!)
- 750 hours of Amazon EC2 Linux Micro Instance usage (613 MB of memory and 32-bit and 64-bit platform support) – enough hours to run continuously each month
- 750 hours of Amazon EC2 Microsoft Windows Server Micro Instance usage (613 MB of memory and 32-bit and 64-bit platform support) – enough hours to run continuously each month
- 750 hours of an Elastic Load Balancer plus 15 GB data processing*
- 30 GB of Amazon Elastic Block Storage, plus 2 million I/Os and 1 GB of snapshot storage
- 5 GB of Amazon S3 standard storage, 20,000 Get Requests, and 2,000 Put Requests
- 100 MB of storage, 5 units of write capacity, and 10 units of read capacity for Amazon DynamoDB.**
- 25 Amazon SimpleDB Machine Hours and 1 GB of Storage
- 1,000 Amazon SWF workflow executions can be initiated for free. A total of 10,000 activity tasks, signals, timers and markers, and 30,000 workflow-days can also be used for free
- 100,000 Requests of Amazon Simple Queue Service
- 100,000 Requests, 100,000 HTTP notifications and 1,000 email notifications for Amazon Simple Notification Service
- 10 Amazon Cloudwatch metrics, 10 alarms, and 1,000,000 API requests
- 15 GB of bandwidth out aggregated across all AWS services
So you dont know Linux, huh (but do know how to Torrent). Well Amazon has a Windows instance for free too. Shame on you for not knowing Linux though! Illegal torrents hurt artists like Shahrukh Khan the most!!!
How to create a Windows Amazon Instance
and to download your precious data (why?) from your remote instance to your local PC use these instructions.
1. Go to find the RDP file amazon asked you to downloaded onto your local PC. right-click –> Edit
2. Go to “Local Resources” tab –> “Local devices and resources” –> “More” button
3. Expand the “Drives” and check the disks you want to share when you TS to the remote box.
4. after connect, you will see the new drives in My Computer already mounted for you.
For me, copy speed is 200-300kB/Second. Enjoy!
or even easier
Installing dropbox on both your client machine and EC2 instance is one of the easiest ways to do it. (go to http://dropbox.com) or try the new Google Drive to share content.
As for Anonymous- DDOS attacks are easy, IRC press conferences are fun, but there are enough techies in India ,kids.
NOTE- You are liable legally for your actions whether on Amazon AWS or on your own laptop. This is just a technical note- not a moral note.
PS- I wonder if the Chinese can use this to access Facebook. Maybe it is time Anonymous got the guts to hit China for it’s unfree internet.
PPS- Message to Anons— Next time, try giving us a pdf tutorial on how to create an anonymized sql injection/ddos !
Custom T Shirt-
INDIA- Writing code since 3000 BC.
INDIA- We made the zero 0.