Home » Posts tagged 'how to' (Page 2)
Tag Archives: how to
Software piracy exists because-
1) Lack of appropriate technological controls (like those on DVDs) or on Bit Torrents (an innovation on the centralized server like Napster) or on Streaming etc etc.
Technology to share content has evolved at a much higher pace than technology to restrict content from being shared or limited to purchasers.
2) Huge difference in purchasing power across the globe.
An Itunes song at 99 cents might be okay buy in USA, but in Asia it is very expensive. Maybe if content creators use Purchasing Power Parity to price their goods, it might make an indent.
3) State sponsored intellectual theft as another form of economic warfare- this has been going on since the West stole gunpowder and silk from the Chinese, and Intel decided to win back the IP rights to the microprocessor (from the Japanese client)
4) Lack of consensus in policy makers across the globe on who gets hurt from IP theft, but complete consensus across young people in the globe that they are doing the right thing by downloading stuff for free.
5) There is no such thing as a free lunch. Sometimes software (and movie and songs) piracy help create demand across ignored markets – I always think the NFL can be huge in India if they market it.Sometimes it forces artists to commit suicide because they give up on the life of starving musician.
Mostly piracy has helped break profits of intermediaries between the actual creator and actual consumer.
So how to solve software piracy , assuming it is something that can be solved-
I dont know, but I do care.
I give most of my writings as CC-by-SA and that includes my poems. People (friends and family) sometimes pay me not to sing.
Pirates have existed and will exist as long as civilized men romanticize the notion of piracy and bicker between themselves for narrow gains.
- Ephesians 4:28 Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need.
- A clean confession, combined with a promise never to commit the sin again, when offered before one who has the right to receive it, is the purest type of repentance.-Gandhi
- If you steal, I will wash your mouth with soap- Anonymous Mother.
- You shall not steal- Moses
- Steal may refer to: Theft, the illegal taking of another person’s property without that person’s freely-given consent; The gaining of a stolen base in baseball;
I liked the design, user interfaces and the conceptual ideas behind the latest Anonymous hactivist websites (much better than the shabby graphic design of Wikileaks, or Friends of Wikileaks, though I guess they have been busy what with Julian’s escapades and Syrian emails)
I disagree (and let us agree to disagree some of the time)
with the complete lack of respect for Graphical User Interfaces for tools. If dDOS really took off due to LOIC, why not build a GUI for SQL Injection (or atleats the top 25 vulnerability testing as by this list http://www.sans.org/top25-software-errors/
Shouldnt Tor be embedded within the next generation of Loic.
Automated testing tools are used by companies like Adobe (and others)… so why not create simple GUI for the existing tools.., I may be completely offtrack here.. but I think hacker education has been a critical misstep[ that has undermined Western Democracies preparedness for Cyber tactics by hostile regimes)…. how to create the next generation of hackers by easy tutorials (see codeacademy and build appropriate modules)
-A slick website to be funded by Bitcoins (Money can buy everything including Mastercard and Visa, but Bitcoins are an innovative step towards an internet economy currency)
-A collobrative wiki
Seriously dude, why not make this a part of Wikipedia- (i know Jimmy Wales got shifty eyes, but can you trust some1 )
-Analytics for Anonymous (sighs! I should have thought about this earlier)
http://anonanalytics.com/ (can be used to play and bill both sides of corporate espionage and be cyber private investigators)
What We Do
We provide the public with investigative reports exposing corrupt companies. Our team includes analysts, forensic accountants, statisticians, computer experts, and lawyers from various jurisdictions and backgrounds. All information presented in our reports is acquired through legal channels, fact-checked, and vetted thoroughly before release. This is both for the protection of our associates as well as groups/individuals who rely on our work.
_and lastly creative content for Pinterest.com and Public Relations ( what next-? Tom Cruise to play Julian Assange in the new Movie ?)
http://www.par-anoia.net/ />Potentially Alarming Research: Anonymous Intelligence AgencyInformation is and will be free. Expect it. ~ Anonymous
Links of interest
- Latest Scientology Mails (Austria)
- Full FBI call transcript
- Arrest Tracker
- HBGary Email Viewer
- The Pirate Bay Proxy
- We Are Anonymous – Book
- To be announced…
So okay, I was a bit harsh here . I apologize.
Anonymous India is doing a protest (on a Saturday which is mostly an off in the Tech Industry in India)
The Indian govt-judiciary-pvt ISPs are blocking the Internet-particularly PirateBay (and OTHER sites).
You can access these sites by going through Amazon AWS.
You can read how to configure an Amazon AWS Windows Instance for free here. Free as in free speech but not as free beer
You can attach your Amazon Windows Instance to your local drive here. See screenshot
Basically you edit the RDP file (Remote Desktop File) as below.
You can then download the torrent from Amazon to your local drive like this.
and you can now click on torrent to start your downloads like this.
Note- Pirate Bay is just a search engine for Torrents- the basic data is peer to peer.
You should change your default password in Windows which you got here-
A nice conference from the grand old institution of Analytics, SAS Institute’s annual analytic pow-wow.
I especially like some of the trainings- and wonder if they could be stored as e-learning modules for students/academics to review
in SAS’s extensive and generous Online Education Program.
Sunday Morning Workshop
SAS Sentiment Analysis Studio: Introduction to Building Models
This course provides an introduction to SAS Sentiment Analysis Studio. It is designed for system designers, developers, analytical consultants and managers who want to understand techniques and approaches for identifying sentiment in textual documents.
Sunday, Oct. 7, 8:30a.m.-12p.m. – $250
Sunday Afternoon Workshops
Business Analytics Consulting Workshops
This workshop is designed for the analyst, statistician, or executive who wants to discuss best-practice approaches to solving specific business problems, in the context of analytics. The two-hour workshop will be customized to discuss your specific analytical needs and will be designed as a one-on-one session for you, including up to five individuals within your company sharing your analytical goal. This workshop is specifically geared for an expert tasked with solving a critical business problem who needs consultation for developing the analytical approach required. The workshop can be customized to meet your needs, from a deep-dive into modeling methods to a strategic plan for analytic initiatives. In addition to the two hours at the conference location, this workshop includes some advanced consulting time over the phone, making it a valuable investment at a bargain price.
Sunday, Oct. 7; 1-3 p.m. or 3:30-5:30 p.m. – $200
Demand-Driven Forecasting: Sensing Demand Signals, Shaping and Predicting Demand
This half-day lecture teaches students how to integrate demand-driven forecasting into the consensus forecasting process and how to make the current demand forecasting process more demand-driven.
Sunday, Oct. 7; 1-5 p.m.
Forecast Value Added Analysis
Forecast Value Added (FVA) is the change in a forecasting performance metric (such as MAPE or bias) that can be attributed to a particular step or participant in the forecasting process. FVA analysis is used to identify those process activities that are failing to make the forecast any better (or might even be making it worse). This course provides step-by-step guidelines for conducting FVA analysis – to identify and eliminate the waste, inefficiency, and worst practices from your forecasting process. The result can be better forecasts, with fewer resources and less management time spent on forecasting.
Sunday, Oct. 7; 1-5 p.m.
SAS Enterprise Content Categorization: An Introduction
This course gives an introduction to methods of unstructured data analysis, document classification and document content identification. The course also uses examples as the basis for constructing parse expressions and resulting entities.
Sunday, Oct. 7; 1-5 p.m.
You can see more on this yourself at -
The cyber -group known as Anonymous has now decided to fight for internet freedom for my 1.2 billion countrymen (India)
So in operation India they go and knock some websites off. The immediate provocation-
1) Legal System prevented access to Pirate Bay (and other sites)
This as per Anons restricts the freedom of glorious motherland of India (which incidentally does have a high number of engineers).
A slight modification to using violence (like DDOS) is to use non violence-this approach is use the free tier at Amazon EC2-http://aws.amazon.com/free/ and sign up and start the windows tier
AWS Free Usage Tier (Per Month): ( only if your torrents are going to be less than 15 gb a month!!)
- 750 hours of Amazon EC2 Linux Micro Instance usage (613 MB of memory and 32-bit and 64-bit platform support) – enough hours to run continuously each month
- 750 hours of Amazon EC2 Microsoft Windows Server Micro Instance usage (613 MB of memory and 32-bit and 64-bit platform support) – enough hours to run continuously each month
- 750 hours of an Elastic Load Balancer plus 15 GB data processing*
- 30 GB of Amazon Elastic Block Storage, plus 2 million I/Os and 1 GB of snapshot storage
- 5 GB of Amazon S3 standard storage, 20,000 Get Requests, and 2,000 Put Requests
- 100 MB of storage, 5 units of write capacity, and 10 units of read capacity for Amazon DynamoDB.**
- 25 Amazon SimpleDB Machine Hours and 1 GB of Storage
- 1,000 Amazon SWF workflow executions can be initiated for free. A total of 10,000 activity tasks, signals, timers and markers, and 30,000 workflow-days can also be used for free
- 100,000 Requests of Amazon Simple Queue Service
- 100,000 Requests, 100,000 HTTP notifications and 1,000 email notifications for Amazon Simple Notification Service
- 10 Amazon Cloudwatch metrics, 10 alarms, and 1,000,000 API requests
- 15 GB of bandwidth out aggregated across all AWS services
So you dont know Linux, huh (but do know how to Torrent). Well Amazon has a Windows instance for free too. Shame on you for not knowing Linux though! Illegal torrents hurt artists like Shahrukh Khan the most!!!
How to create a Windows Amazon Instance
and to download your precious data (why?) from your remote instance to your local PC use these instructions.
1. Go to find the RDP file amazon asked you to downloaded onto your local PC. right-click –> Edit
2. Go to “Local Resources” tab –> “Local devices and resources” –> “More” button
3. Expand the “Drives” and check the disks you want to share when you TS to the remote box.
4. after connect, you will see the new drives in My Computer already mounted for you.
For me, copy speed is 200-300kB/Second. Enjoy!
or even easier
Installing dropbox on both your client machine and EC2 instance is one of the easiest ways to do it. (go to http://dropbox.com) or try the new Google Drive to share content.
As for Anonymous- DDOS attacks are easy, IRC press conferences are fun, but there are enough techies in India ,kids.
NOTE- You are liable legally for your actions whether on Amazon AWS or on your own laptop. This is just a technical note- not a moral note.
PS- I wonder if the Chinese can use this to access Facebook. Maybe it is time Anonymous got the guts to hit China for it’s unfree internet.
PPS- Message to Anons— Next time, try giving us a pdf tutorial on how to create an anonymized sql injection/ddos !
Custom T Shirt-
INDIA- Writing code since 3000 BC.
INDIA- We made the zero 0.