Home » Posts tagged 'hacker'
Tag Archives: hacker
In response to the most excellent writer Nick Bilton of NY Times and his splendid though cautious article here
Please consider these points
- jail breaking phones was once illegal , then became legal, and now is questionable again. Rooting your Android tablet is now frowned upon. The question is how do you teach the next generation of hackers to explore hardware and software and yet respect laws in their own self interest. Exploring means pushing the boundaries of what can be done and what can not be done. Inter racial marriage was illegal too, once.
- what damage have hackers caused to society in past 5 years (lost revenues in Digital content) versus what benefits have they brought about ( Arab Spring catalyst)
- Consider the past history of hackers who turned entrepreneurs because they didn’t go to jail and were mentored into diverting their energy to startups that created jobs.
No hackers, bam, no Apple, no Microsoft, no Google, and yes no Facebook because the founders would be too busy in a court of law.Probably not much NASA, DARPA or NSA given that almost everyone tests the limits of exploration in young age.
- Consider the historic legality of protests as done by Gandhi, Martin Luther King , and the legal treatment of hacker activists recently. Civic rights in 60s and cyber rights in the 2010s. Do they have something in common?
- Is law enforcement adequately trained to understand hacking , and what steps are being done for enhancing cyber law training and jurisprudence. I don’t think the cyber law enforcement is adequately manned with resources. When law enforcement is denied resources, it takes short cuts and questionable tactics including intimidation and making examples of people.
My father , a decorated police officer , always said that , if you are not a part of the solution, you are part of the problem.As a technical writer , I sometimes know how to solve technical problems but these laws create fear in the minds of future problem solvers.
- Who is a hacker. Who is a criminal .Is a hacker ~= a criminal or Is a hacker == a criminal ?
Lets get some common sense back in the game before we turn more kids int rebels without a cause, or without a case.
(continued from the series)
- Using Cloud Computing for Hacking
- How to be a Happy Hacker
- C4ISTAR for Hacking and Cyber Conflict
- How to learn Hacking Part 2
- Hacking Hackers
- How to learn to be a hacker easily
- Google Hacker Mode
- Analytics for Cyber Conflict
- Why Cyber War
- Analytics for Cyber Conflict -Part Deux
I write on and off on hackers (see http://bit.ly/VWxSvP) and even some poetry on them (http://bit.ly/11RznQl) . During meetups, conferences, online discussions I run into them, I have interviewed them , and I have trained some of them (in analytics). Based on this decade long experience of observing hackers, and two decade long experience of hanging out with them- some thoughts on making you a better hacker, and a happier hacker even if you are a hacker activist or a hacker in enterprise software.
1) Everybody can be a hacker, but you need to know the basic attitude first. Not every Python or Java coder is a hacker. Coding is not hacking. More details here- http://decisionstats.com/2012/02/12/how-to-learn-to-be-a-hacker-easily/
2) Use tools like Coursera, Udacity, Codeacdemy to learn new languages. Even if you dont have the natural gift for memorizing syntax, some of it helps. (I forget syntax quite often. I google)
3) Learn tools like Metasploit if you want to learn the lucrative and romantic art of exploits hacking (http://www.offensive-security.com/metasploit-unleashed/Main_Page). The demand for information security is going to be huge. hackers with jobs are happy hackers.
4) Develop a serious downtime hobby.
Lets face it- your body was not designed to sit in front of a computer for 8 hours. But being a hacker will mean that commitment and maybe more.
Wanted to learn Python? Stuck on a desk with no redemption. You have two very lucid options. One is use Google. I mean not the search engine, but their class on learning Python.
The videos are available on Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/user/GoogleDevelopers (starting at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKTZoB2Vjuk&feature=plcp)
The other is new module of Python at code academy. It is truly awesome even if you dont know any programming!
So learn some awesome python today and be an excellent hacker tommorow!
If you bleed red,white and blue and know some geo-spatial analysis ,social network analysis and some supervised and unsupervised learning (and unlearning)- here is a chance for you to put your skills for an awesome project
For this challenge, Darpa will lodge a selected six to eight teams at George Mason University and provide them with an initial $10,000 for equipment and access to unclassified data sets including “ground-level video of human activity in both urban and rural environments; high-resolution wide-area LiDAR of urban and mountainous terrain, wide-area airborne full motion video; and unstructured amateur photos and videos, such as would be taken from an adversary’s cell phone.” However, participants are encouraged to use any open sourced, legal data sets they want. (In the hackathon spirit, we would encourage the consumption of massive quantities of pizza and Red Bull, too.)
DARPA Innovation House Project
Proposals must be one to three pages. Team resumes of any length must be attached and do not count against the page limit. Proposals must have 1-inch margins, use a font size of at least 11, and be delivered in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
Proposals must be emailed to InnovationHouse@c4i.gmu.edu by 4:00PM ET on Tuesday, July 31, 2012.
Proposals must have a Title and contain at least the following sections with the following contents.
- Team Members
Each team member must be listed with name, email and phone.
The Lead Developer should be indicated.
The statement “All team members are proposed as Key Personnel.” must be included.
- Capability Description
The description should clearly explain what capability the software is designed to provide the user, how it is proposed to work, and what data it will process.
In addition, a clear argument should be made as to why it is a novel approach that is not incremental to existing methods in the field.
- Proposed Phase 1 Demonstration
This section should clearly explain what will be demonstrated at the end of Session I. The description should be expressive, and as concrete as possible about the nature of the designs and software the team intends to produce in Session I.
- Proposed Phase 2 Demonstration
This section should clearly explain how the final software capability will be demonstrated as quantitatively as possible (for example, positing the amount of data that will be processed during the demonstration), how much time that will take, and the nature of the results the processing aims to achieve.
In addition, the following sections are optional.
- Technical Approach
The technical approach section amplifies the Capability Description, explaining proposed algorithms, coding practices, architectural designs and/or other technical details.
- Team Qualifications
Team qualifications should be included if the team?s experience base does not make it obvious that it has the potential to do this level of software development. In that case, this section should make a credible argument as to why the team should be considered to have a reasonable chance of completing its goals, especially under the tight timelines described.
Other sections may be included at the proposers? discretion, provided the proposal does not exceed three pages.
I liked the design, user interfaces and the conceptual ideas behind the latest Anonymous hactivist websites (much better than the shabby graphic design of Wikileaks, or Friends of Wikileaks, though I guess they have been busy what with Julian’s escapades and Syrian emails)
I disagree (and let us agree to disagree some of the time)
with the complete lack of respect for Graphical User Interfaces for tools. If dDOS really took off due to LOIC, why not build a GUI for SQL Injection (or atleats the top 25 vulnerability testing as by this list http://www.sans.org/top25-software-errors/
Shouldnt Tor be embedded within the next generation of Loic.
Automated testing tools are used by companies like Adobe (and others)… so why not create simple GUI for the existing tools.., I may be completely offtrack here.. but I think hacker education has been a critical misstep[ that has undermined Western Democracies preparedness for Cyber tactics by hostile regimes)…. how to create the next generation of hackers by easy tutorials (see codeacademy and build appropriate modules)
-A slick website to be funded by Bitcoins (Money can buy everything including Mastercard and Visa, but Bitcoins are an innovative step towards an internet economy currency)
-A collobrative wiki
Seriously dude, why not make this a part of Wikipedia- (i know Jimmy Wales got shifty eyes, but can you trust some1 )
-Analytics for Anonymous (sighs! I should have thought about this earlier)
http://anonanalytics.com/ (can be used to play and bill both sides of corporate espionage and be cyber private investigators)
What We Do
We provide the public with investigative reports exposing corrupt companies. Our team includes analysts, forensic accountants, statisticians, computer experts, and lawyers from various jurisdictions and backgrounds. All information presented in our reports is acquired through legal channels, fact-checked, and vetted thoroughly before release. This is both for the protection of our associates as well as groups/individuals who rely on our work.
_and lastly creative content for Pinterest.com and Public Relations ( what next-? Tom Cruise to play Julian Assange in the new Movie ?)
http://www.par-anoia.net/ />Potentially Alarming Research: Anonymous Intelligence AgencyInformation is and will be free. Expect it. ~ Anonymous
Links of interest
- Latest Scientology Mails (Austria)
- Full FBI call transcript
- Arrest Tracker
- HBGary Email Viewer
- The Pirate Bay Proxy
- We Are Anonymous – Book
- To be announced…