Home » Posts tagged 'google maps'
Tag Archives: google maps
1) It takes 5 seconds to switch your Search Engine Provider.
2) It consistently does not lock you with added services of its own (like Youtube runs on Iphones and Facebook and on Internet Explorer and so does the search engine and so does Google Maps).
3) It has leveraged the maximum from goodwill from open source developers without investing too much money back into them Goodwill is precious and once you lose dev cred you lose it for some time (as some companies found out in the last decade).
4) It has very well funded rivals from MS, Oracle,and Apple and Facebook. That alone will guarantee competition more than any lawyer.
Some Google Strengths-
5) Its portfolio remains under monetized – that gives it plenty of flexibility. The following products are the best in class, and yet are mostly free for retail customers.
- Google Maps
- Google Analytics
- Google Docs/Drive
6) Its main product is free to use. You cant beat free. You can try. but cant.
7) It remains the prime source of CS/ Math/Stat related talent on this planet (remember Map Reduce paper). Only the NSA has more bad ass geeks.
8) It tries not to be evil. Mostly it is not evil. Sometimes the ads get irritating. But never evil.
Here is a brief interview with Alvaro Tejada Galindo aka Blag who is a developer working with SAP Hana and R at SAP Labs, Montreal. SAP Hana is SAP’s latest offering in BI , it’s also a database and a computing environment , and using R and HANA together on the cloud can give major productivity gains in terms of both speed and analytical ability, as per preliminary use cases.
Ajay- What made the R language a fit for SAP HANA. Did you consider other languages? What is your view on Julia/Python/SPSS/SAS/Matlab languages
Blag- I think “R” is a must for SAP HANA. As the fastest database in the market, we needed a language that could help us shape the data in the best possible way. “R” filled that purpose very well. Right now, “R” is not the only language as “L” can be used as well (http://wiki.tcl.tk/17068) …not forgetting “SQLScript” which is our own version of SQL (http://goo.gl/x3bwh) . I have to admit that I tried Julia, but couldn’t manage to make it work. Regarding Python, it’s an interesting question as I’m going to blog about Python and SAP HANA soon. About Matlab, SPSS and SAS I haven’t used them, so I got nothing to say there.
Ajay- What is your view on some of the limitations of R that can be overcome with using it with SAP HANA.
Blag- I think mostly the ability of SAP HANA to work with big data. Again, SAP HANA and “R” can work very nicely together and achieve things that weren’t possible before.
Ajay- Have you considered other vendors of R including working with RStudio, Revolution Analytics, and even Oracle R Enterprise.
Blag- I’m not really part of the SAP HANA or the R groups inside SAP, so I can’t really comment on that. I can only say that I use RStudio every time I need to do something with R. Regarding Oracle…I don’t think so…but they can use any of our products whenever they want.
Ajay- Do you have a case study on an actual usage of R with SAP HANA that led to great results.
Blag- Right now the use of “R” and SAP HANA is very preliminary, I don’t think many people has start working on it…but as an example that it works, you can check this awesome blog entry from my friend Jitender Aswani “Big Data, R and HANA: Analyze 200 Million Data Points and Later Visualize Using Google Maps “ (http://allthingsr.blogspot.com/#!/2012/04/big-data-r-and-hana-analyze-200-million.html)
Ajay- Does your group in SAP plan to give to the R ecosystem by attending conferences like UseR 2012, sponsoring meets, or package development etc
Blag- My group is in charge of everything developers, so sure, we’re planning to get more in touch with R developers and their ecosystem. Not sure how we’re going to deal with it, but at least I’m going to get myself involved in the Montreal R Group.
|Name:||Alvaro Tejada Galindo|
|Company:||SAP Canada Labs-Montreal|
|Instant Messaging Type:|
|Instant Messaging ID:||Blag|
|Professional Blog URL:||http://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/scn/weblogs?blog=/pub/u/252210910|
|My Relation to SAP:||employee|
|Short Bio:||Development Expert for the Technology Innovation and Developer Experience team.Used to be an ABAP Consultant for the last 11 years. Addicted to programming since 1997.|
SAP HANA is SAP AG’s implementation of in-memory database technology. There are four components within the software group:
- SAP HANA DB (or HANA DB) refers to the database technology itself,
- SAP HANA Studio refers to the suite of tools provided by SAP for modeling,
- SAP HANA Appliance refers to HANA DB as delivered on partner certified hardware (see below) as anappliance. It also includes the modeling tools from HANA Studio as well replication and data transformation tools to move data into HANA DB,
- SAP HANA Application Cloud refers to the cloud based infrastructure for delivery of applications (typically existing SAP applications rewritten to run on HANA).
R is integrated in HANA DB via TCP/IP. HANA uses SQL-SHM, a shared memory-based data exchange to incorporate R’s vertical data structure. HANA also introduces R scripts equivalent to native database operations like join or aggregation. HANA developers can write R scripts in SQL and the types are automatically converted in HANA. R scripts can be invoked with HANA tables as both input and output in the SQLScript. R environments need to be deployed to use R within SQLScript
More blog posts on using SAP and R togetherDealing with R and HANA
HANA meets R
When SAP HANA met R – First kiss
Using RODBC with SAP HANA DB-
SAP HANA: My experiences on using SAP HANA with R
and of course the blog that started it all-
Jitender Aswani’s http://allthingsr.blogspot.in/
Using WP- Stats I set about answering this question-
What search keywords lead here-
Clearly Michael Jackson is down this year
And R GUI, Data Mining is up.
How does that affect my writing- given I get almost 250 visitors by search engines alone daily- assume I write nothing on this blog from now on.
It doesnt- I still write what ever code or poem that comes to my mind. So it is hurtful people misunderstimate the effort in writing and jump to conclusions (esp if I write about a company- I am not on payroll of that company- just like if I write about a poem- I am not a full time poet)
Over to xkcd
All Time (for Decisionstats.Wordpress.com)
|michael jackson history||240|
|wps sas lawsuit||180|
|sas wps lawsuit||100|
|google maps jet ski||94|
|google maps jetski||62|
|sas sues wps||60|
|donald farmer microsoft||45|
|best statistics software||42|
|r gui ubuntu||41|
|tamilnadu advanced technical training institute tatti||37|
2009-11-24 to Today
|wps sas lawsuit||170|
|sas wps lawsuit||95|
|google maps jet ski||94|
|google maps jetski||62|
|donald farmer microsoft||45|
- Ways of Optimizing Blog in Search Engines (cash-bandit.com)
- SearchCap: The Day In Search, November 23, 2010 (searchengineland.com)
- Do You Want Increased Income? Chango Could Be The Answer (wassupblog.com)
- Domain.com Announces Industry’s First Natively Integrated Browser Domain Search (prweb.com)
- Why Keyword Research Matters and Link Building Doesn’t (danlew.com)
- Six rules for producing optimised web content (econsultancy.com)
- Consumer Watch Dog Group Files Complaint with the FTC Regarding Data Mining, Profiling Algorithms – Privacy With Health Information At Risk With Insurer and Employer Usage (ducknetweb.blogspot.com)
- Find the Question to your Yahoo Answers! (seomoz.org)
Google recently did the following-
1 Raised salaries by 1000 $ across board, and gave a 10% increase at lower levels to reportedly 30% increase at higher levels.
The surprise 1000$ cash bonus , was a simple application of expectation management, people love a surprise 1000$ raise, but hate if told they would be getting a 90$ raise in their monthly salary from next quarter.
Ex Googlers or GoogleX as the groups is called have helped create a lot of not so evil value at Facebook, and at Twitter. Even the rest of the World made more money on Map Reduce than Google itself did
And Google refuses to do simple things like sell Android )s at 10 bucks a pop, or Google Maps at 0.99 cents a pop. Not even a paid content search by integrating syndicating sources like Factiva, Bloomberg etc
The book scanning project would be out soon , hey when, but they could better get some health record scanning contracts to help cut digital costs
And the A/B experiment to move to pay per conversion rather than pay per click will hurt spamboy advertisers in Facebook or Bing more than Google.
and will someone remove the 100$ limit in Adsense minimum revenue-the internet long tail doesnt end at the round number
But Google ‘s rumors of firing the guy who leaked the raise rumor is totally deception -
seems they are just plugging the leaks for hot new features to counter Gmail killers (where did we heard this phrase before) by
Mark “Still dont have a diploma from Harvard”
speaking of which if Facebook has 500 million unique customers logging and clicking ads (right)- how many unique customers search and click ads on Google. A histogram using a Monte Carlo would be nice-
- Google Raise, Bonus Announcement Surprises Employees (techeblog.com)
- Google engineer: Raise leaker exposed us to mugging (news.cnet.com)
- Google Fires Leaker Of Payrise Info (searchenginewatch.com)
- Google Employee Leaks The News That Google Fired Employee Who Leaked Salary Info (techdirt.com)
- “Burma releases pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi” and related posts (wildmind.org)
- “Google doodle celebrates Robert Louis Stevenson’s birthday” and related posts (pocket-lint.com)
Don’t belive it huh
Go to http://goo.gl/maps/UISY
Instruction 43: (From Japan to China) is Jet Ski for 782 km
Very funny- and maybe an easter egg
- Google Map Directions From China To Japan (geekologie.com)
- From Japan to China on Google Maps: ‘Jet Ski Across the Pacific Ocean’ (blippitt.com)
- Sheriff: US man on jet ski shot in Mexican waters (seattletimes.nwsource.com)