Home » Posts tagged 'facebook'
Tag Archives: facebook
leads the way in an easy , transparent interface to download all your data. (more…)
1) It takes 5 seconds to switch your Search Engine Provider.
2) It consistently does not lock you with added services of its own (like Youtube runs on Iphones and Facebook and on Internet Explorer and so does the search engine and so does Google Maps).
3) It has leveraged the maximum from goodwill from open source developers without investing too much money back into them Goodwill is precious and once you lose dev cred you lose it for some time (as some companies found out in the last decade).
4) It has very well funded rivals from MS, Oracle,and Apple and Facebook. That alone will guarantee competition more than any lawyer.
Some Google Strengths-
5) Its portfolio remains under monetized – that gives it plenty of flexibility. The following products are the best in class, and yet are mostly free for retail customers.
- Google Maps
- Google Analytics
- Google Docs/Drive
6) Its main product is free to use. You cant beat free. You can try. but cant.
7) It remains the prime source of CS/ Math/Stat related talent on this planet (remember Map Reduce paper). Only the NSA has more bad ass geeks.
8) It tries not to be evil. Mostly it is not evil. Sometimes the ads get irritating. But never evil.
The lovely lovely diagram at https://developer.linkedin.com/documents/oauth-overview is worth a thousand words and errors.
Very useful if you are trying to coax rCurl to do the job for you.
Also a great slideshare in Japanese (no! Google Translate didnt work on pdf’s and slideshares and scribds (why!!) but still very lucid on using OAuth with R for Twitter.
Why use OAuth- you get 350 calls per hour for authenticated sessions than 150 calls .
I tried but failed using registerTwitterOAuth
There is a real need for a single page where you can go and see which social netowork /website is using what kind of oAuth, which url within that website has your API keys, and the accompanying R Code for the same. Google Plus,LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook all can be scraped better by OAuth. Something like this-
At $39.23 Billion , Facebook is now cheaper than what Steve Ballmer was prepared to pay for Yahoo (when Yahoo CEO Jerry Yang famously turned him down). Can Microsoft buy Facebook? or Can Apple buy Facebook?
Both would be okay from an anti trust perspective- and both have the cash. Note you need only to buy 51% of shares for controlling and Mark Zuckerberg seems a bit down (never mind Sean Parker’s voting arrangement).
Can Google plunk 20% of FB for 8 billion – less than they paid for Motorola, so they can sell Ads there while FB concentrates on thee social aspects.
FB has innovated with good UI, apps, cassandra,the like button, the FB connect network, and of course socially targeted ads. I dont think it’s stock price deserves to be dog with fleas.
Where is a good leveraged buy out (LBO) or hedge fund when you need one?