Home » Posts tagged 'downloading'
Tag Archives: downloading
I really liked the initiatives at JMP/Academic. Not only they offer the software bundled with a textbook, which is both good common sense as well as business sense given how fast students can get confused
(Rant 1 Bundling with textbooks is something I think is Revolution Analytics should think of doing instead of just offering the academic version for free downloading- it would be interesting to see the penetration of R academic market with Revolution’s version and the open source version with the existing strategy)
Major publishers of introductory statistics textbooks offer a 12-month license to JMP Student Edition, a streamlined version of JMP, with their textbooks.
and a glance through this http://www.jmp.com/academic/pdf/jmp_se_comparison.pdf shows it is a credible and not extremely whittled down version which would be just dishonest.
And I loved this Reference Card at http://www.jmp.com/academic/pdf/jmp10_se_quick_guide.pdf
Oracle, SAP- Hana, Revolution Analytics and even SAS/STAT itself can make more reference cards like this- elegant solutions for students and new learners!
More- creative-rants Honestly why do corporate sites use PDFs anymore when they can use Instapaper , or any of these SlideShare/Scribd formats to show information in a better way without diverting the user from the main webpage.
But I digress, back to JMP
Resources for Faculty Using JMP® Student Edition
Faculty who select a JMP Student Edition bundle for their courses may be eligible for additional resources, including course materials and training.
Special JMP® Student Edition for AP Statistics
JMP Student Edition is available in a convenient five-year license for qualified Advanced Placement statistics programs.
Try and have a look yourself at http://www.jmp.com/academic/student.shtml
Software piracy exists because-
1) Lack of appropriate technological controls (like those on DVDs) or on Bit Torrents (an innovation on the centralized server like Napster) or on Streaming etc etc.
Technology to share content has evolved at a much higher pace than technology to restrict content from being shared or limited to purchasers.
2) Huge difference in purchasing power across the globe.
An Itunes song at 99 cents might be okay buy in USA, but in Asia it is very expensive. Maybe if content creators use Purchasing Power Parity to price their goods, it might make an indent.
3) State sponsored intellectual theft as another form of economic warfare- this has been going on since the West stole gunpowder and silk from the Chinese, and Intel decided to win back the IP rights to the microprocessor (from the Japanese client)
4) Lack of consensus in policy makers across the globe on who gets hurt from IP theft, but complete consensus across young people in the globe that they are doing the right thing by downloading stuff for free.
5) There is no such thing as a free lunch. Sometimes software (and movie and songs) piracy help create demand across ignored markets – I always think the NFL can be huge in India if they market it.Sometimes it forces artists to commit suicide because they give up on the life of starving musician.
Mostly piracy has helped break profits of intermediaries between the actual creator and actual consumer.
So how to solve software piracy , assuming it is something that can be solved-
I dont know, but I do care.
I give most of my writings as CC-by-SA and that includes my poems. People (friends and family) sometimes pay me not to sing.
Pirates have existed and will exist as long as civilized men romanticize the notion of piracy and bicker between themselves for narrow gains.
- Ephesians 4:28 Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need.
- A clean confession, combined with a promise never to commit the sin again, when offered before one who has the right to receive it, is the purest type of repentance.-Gandhi
- If you steal, I will wash your mouth with soap- Anonymous Mother.
- You shall not steal- Moses
- Steal may refer to: Theft, the illegal taking of another person’s property without that person’s freely-given consent; The gaining of a stolen base in baseball;
I really liked the software Qbittorent available from http://www.qbittorrent.org/ I think bit torrents should be the default way of sharing huge content especially software downloads. For protecting intellectual property there should be much better codes and software keys than presently available.
The qBittorrent project aims to provide a Free Software alternative to µtorrent. Additionally, qBittorrent runs and provides the same features on all major platforms (Linux, Mac OS X, Windows, OS/2, FreeBSD).
qBittorrent is based on Qt4 toolkit and libtorrent-rasterbar.
qBittorrent v2 Features
- Polished µTorrent-like User Interface
- Well-integrated and extensible Search Engine
- Simultaneous search in most famous BitTorrent search sites
- Per-category-specific search requests (e.g. Books, Music, Movies)
- All Bittorrent extensions
- DHT, Peer Exchange, Full encryption, Magnet/BitComet URIs, …
- Remote control through a Web user interface
- Nearly identical to the regular UI, all in Ajax
- Advanced control over trackers, peers and torrents
- Torrents queueing and prioritizing
- Torrent content selection and prioritizing
- UPnP / NAT-PMP port forwarding support
- Available in ~25 languages (Unicode support)
- Torrent creation tool
- Advanced RSS support with download filters (inc. regex)
- Bandwidth scheduler
- IP Filtering (eMule and PeerGuardian compatible)
- IPv6 compliant
- Sequential downloading (aka “Download in order”)
- Available on most platforms: Linux, Mac OS X, Windows, OS/2, FreeBSDSo if you are new to Bit Torrents- here is a brief tutorialSome terminology from
- A tracker is a server that keeps track of which seeds and peers are in the swarm.
- A Seed is used to refer to a peer who has 100% of the data. When a leech obtains 100% of the data, that peer automatically becomes a Seed.
- A peer is one instance of a BitTorrent client running on a computer on the Internet to which other clients connect and transfer data.
- A leech is a term with two meanings. Primarily leech (or leeches) refer to a peer (or peers) who has a negative effect on the swarm by having a very poor share ratio (downloading much more than they upload, creating a ratio less than 1.0)1) Download and install the software from http://www.qbittorrent.org/2) If you want to search for new files, you can use the nice search features in here3) If you want to CREATE new bit torrents- go to Tools -Torrent Creator4) For sharing content- just seed the torrent you just created. What is seeding – hey did you read the terminology in the beginning?5) Additionally -From
Trackers: Below are some popular public trackers. They are servers which help peers to communicate.
Here are some good trackers you can use:
- When a file is new, much time can be wasted because the seeding client might send the same file piece to many different peers, while other pieces have not yet been downloaded at all. Some clients, like ABC, Vuze, BitTornado, TorrentStorm, and µTorrent have a “super-seed” mode, where they try to only send out pieces that have never been sent out before, theoretically making the initial propagation of the file much faster. However the super-seeding becomes less effective and may even reduce performance compared to the normal “rarest first” model in cases where some peers have poor or limited connectivity. This mode is generally used only for a new torrent, or one which must be re-seeded because no other seeds are available.
- Note- you use this tutorial and any or all steps at your own risk. I am not legally responsible for any mishaps you get into. Please be responsible while being an efficient bit tor renter. That means respecting individual property rights.
The chrome extension MafiaaWire basically gives you an updated list of redirected websites. So the next time , your evil highness shuts down your favorite website- the list promises to give you an update. While obviously entertainment intellectual property is a very obvious site category for such redirects, in some cases these extensions can be used for simple things like hosting dissents or protesters against govt corruption in non US countries .
Basically under the new SOPA act (an oline version of pepper spray http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act) even browsers like Firefox and Chrome would be liable for any such extension that can be used to download American Intellectual property illegally.
In the meantime – this is an interesting and creative use case of technology and sociology merging in the brave new world.
You can read about it here-
MAFIAAFire works by downloading a list which contains the names of the “blocked” sites as well as the sites to redirect to. This list is downloaded every time Firefox starts up or every two days on the Chrome version (although the user has the choice to force an update on the Chrome version instead of waiting for two days).
When a user types in a domain name from the list of blocked domains, the add-on recognizes this and automatically redirects the user to the secondary site. Since this happens before the browser connects to the DNS server, this renders any DNS blocks useless.
Although the add-on checks for which sites are entered into the address bar every time (as it needs to check if that site is on its block list), it does not log these requests nor send these requests to any central server. In other words: it does not track the user.
Download it from
Interesting times indeed!
Heres an awesome app on Facebook for linking and downloading your LI contacts.
Its called Branchout- and is very user friendly interface (critical for social software)
For some time now, I had been hoping for a place where new package or algorithm developers get at least a fraction of the money that iPad or iPhone application developers get. Rapid Miner has taken the lead in establishing a marketplace for extensions. Is there going to be paid extensions as well- I hope so!!
This probably makes it the first “app” marketplace in open source and the second app marketplace in analytics after salesforce.com
It is hard work to think of new algols, and some of them can really be usefull.
Can we hope for #rstats marketplace where people downloading say ggplot3.0 atleast get a prompt to donate 99 cents per download to Hadley Wickham’s Amazon wishlist. http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/1Y65N3VFA613B
Do you think it is okay to pay 99 cents per iTunes song, but not pay a cent for open source software.
I dont know- but I am just a capitalist born in a country that was socialist for the first 13 years of my life. Congratulations once again to Rapid Miner for innovating and leading the way.
|RapidMiner, Marketplace, Extensions||30 May 2011|
|Rapid-I Marketplace Launched by Simon Fischer|
Over the years, many of you have been developing new RapidMiner Extensions dedicated to a broad set of topics. Whereas these extensions are easy to install in RapidMiner – just download and place them in the plugins folder – the hard part is to find them in the vastness that is the Internet. Extensions made by ourselves at Rapid-I, on the other hand, are distributed by the update server making them searchable and installable directly inside RapidMiner.
We thought that this was a bit unfair, so we decieded to open up the update server to the public, and not only this, we even gave it a new look and name. The Rapid-I Marketplace is available in beta mode at http://rapidupdate.de:8180/ . You can use the Web interface to browse, comment, and rate the extensions, and you can use the update functionality in RapidMiner by going to the preferences and entering http://rapidupdate.de:8180/UpdateServer/ as the update server URL. (Once the beta test is complete, we will change the port back to 80 so we won’t have any firewall problems.)
As an Extension developer, just register with the Marketplace and drop me an email (fischer at rapid-i dot com) so I can give you permissions to upload your own extension. Upload is simple provided you use the standard RapidMiner Extension build process and will boost visibility of your extension.
Looking forward to see many new extensions there soon!
Disclaimer- Decisionstats is a partner of Rapid Miner. I have been liking the software for a long long time, and recently agreed to partner with them just like I did with KXEN some years back, and with Predictive AnalyticsConference, and Aster Data until last year.
I still think Rapid Miner is a very very good software,and a globally created software after SAP.
Here is the actual marketplace
The Rapid-I Marketplace will soon replace the RapidMiner update server. Using this marketplace, you can share your RapidMiner extensions and make them available for download by the community of RapidMiner users. Currently, we are beta testing this server. If you want to use this server in RapidMiner, you must go to the preferences and enter http://rapidupdate.de:8180/UpdateServer for the update url. After the beta test, we will change the port back to 80, which is currently occupied by the old update server. You can test the marketplace as a user (downloading extensions) and as an Extension developer. If you want to publish your extension here, please let us know via the contact form.
|5/30/11 12:39 PM||User burgetrm has uploaded version 1.1.0 of Imageprocessing.|
|5/30/11 12:34 PM||User burgetrm has uploaded version 1.0.0 of Imageprocessing.|
|5/30/11 11:55 AM||User burgetrm has created the new product Imageprocessing.|
|5/30/11 11:12 AM||User Rapid-I has uploaded version 5.0.7 of RapidMiner.|
|5/30/11 11:12 AM||User Rapid-I has uploaded version 5.0.2 of RapidMiner.|
- Open Source replacements for Operaitons Research and Analytics Software (r-bloggers.com)
- RapidMiner Community gets exciting! (decisionstats.wordpress.com)