Home » Posts tagged 'cloud'
Tag Archives: cloud
Here is a brief tutorial for people to run R on Windows Azure Cloud (OS=Windows in this case , but there are 4 kinds of Linux also available)
There is a free 90 day trial so you can run R for free on the cloud for free (since Google Cloud Compute is still in closed hush hush beta)
Some slides I liked on cloud computing infrastructure as offered by Amazon, IBM, Google , Windows and Oracle
I have compared some of Amazon’s database in the cloud offerings with Google’s and especially the Google BigQuery API in my latest article. With more than 2 years under its belt for development, Google BigQuery API is a good service to test out if you want to reduce dependencies on database vendors.
Read it at
Google BigQuery API Makes Big Data Analytics Easy
I have been busy-
1) Finally my divorce came through. My advice – dont do it without a pre-nup ! Alimony means all the money.
2) Spending time on Quora after getting bored from LinkedIn, Twitter,Facebook,Google Plus,Tumblr, WordPress
See this answer to-
1) we will change the world
2) if we get 1% of a billion people market, we will be rich
3) if we have got funding, most of the job is done
4) lets pay ourselves high salaries since we got funded
5) our idea is awesome and cant be copied, improvised, stolen, replicated
6) startups are painless
7) it is a better life than a corporate career
8) long term vision is important than short term cash burn
9) we will never sell out or exit. never
10) its a great idea to make startups with friend
Say hello to me – http://www.quora.com/Ajay-Ohri/answers
3) Writing freelance articles on APIs for Programmable Web
Why write pro? See point 1)
4) Writing poetry on http://poemsforkush.com/. It now gets 23000 views a month. I wish I could say my poems were great, but the readers are kind (364 subscribers!) and also Google Image Search is very very kind.
5) Kicking tires with next book ” R for Cloud Computing” and be tuned for another writing announcement
6) Waiting for Paul Kent, VP, SAS Big Data to reply to my emails for interview after HE promised me!! You dont get to 105 interviews without being a bit stubborn!
7) Sighing on politics engulfing my American friends especially with regards to Chic-fil-A and Romney’s gaffes. Now thats what I call a first world problem! Protesting by eating or boycotting chicken sandwiches! In India we had the world’s biggest blackout two days in a row- and no one is attending the Hunger Fast against corruption protests!
8) Watching Olympics! Our glorious nation of 1.2 billion very smart people has managed to win 1 Bronze till today!! Michael Phelps has won more medals and more gold than the whole of India has since the Olympics Games began!!
9) Consulting to pay the bills. includes writing R code, making presentations. Why consult when I have writing to do? See point 1)
10) Reading New York Times to get insights on Big Data and Analytics. Trust them- they know what they are doing!
Increasingly Big Data is used in writing where Business Analytics was used, and data mining is thrown in as a word just to keep liberal art majors happy that they are reading a scientific article.
Some Big Words I have noticed in my Short life-
Big Data? High Performance Analytics? High Performance Computing ? Cloud Computing? Time Sharing? Data Mining? SEMMA? CRISP-DM? KDD? Business Intelligence? Business Analytics and Optimization? (pick a card and any card)
(or Just Moore’s Law catching up with the analytics)
Replace Big Data with Analytics in these articles and let me know if you can make out much of a difference
- Big Data on Campus
- From the man who famously said BI is dead, is now burying Business Analytics within the new buzzword , SAS CMO Jim Davis
How to transform big data from an obstacle into an asset
(Related- Is big data over hyped? by Jim Davis
I am sure by 2015, Jim Davis, NYT and the merry men of analytics will find some other buzzwords to rally the troops. In the meantime, let me throw out the flag and call it Big .
Amazon gets some competition, and customers should see some relief, unless Google withdraws commitment on these products after a few years of trying (like it often does now!)
|Machine Type Pricing|
|Configuration||Virtual Cores||Memory||GCEU *||Local disk||Price/Hour||$/GCEU/hour|
|n1-standard-1-d||1||3.75GB ***||2.75||420GB ***||$0.145||0.053|
|n1-standard-8-d||8||30GB||22||2 x 1770GB||$1.16||0.053|
|Egress to the same Zone.||Free|
|Egress to a different Cloud service within the same Region.||Free|
|Egress to a different Zone in the same Region (per GB)||$0.01|
|Egress to a different Region within the US||$0.01 ****|
|Inter-continental Egress||At Internet Egress Rate|
|Internet Egress (Americas/EMEA destination) per GB|
|0-1 TB in a month||$0.12|
|Internet Egress (APAC destination) per GB|
|0-1 TB in a month||$0.21|
|Persistent Disk Pricing|
|Provisioned space||$0.10 GB/month|
|Snapshot storage**||$0.125 GB/month|
|IO Operations||$0.10 per million|
|IP Address Pricing|
|Static IP address (assigned but unused)||$0.01 per hour|
|Ephemeral IP address (attached to instance)||Free|
** coming soon
*** 1GB is defined as 2^30 bytes
**** promotional pricing; eventually will be charged at internet download rates
Google Prediction API
Tap into Google’s machine learning algorithms to analyze data and predict future outcomes.
Leverage machine learning without the complexity
Use the familiar RESTful interface
Enter input in any format – numeric or text
Build smart apps
Learn how you can use Prediction API to build customer sentiment analysis, spam detection or document and email classification.
Google Translation API
Use Google Translate API to build multilingual apps and programmatically translate text in your webpage or application.
Translate text into other languages programmatically
Use the familiar RESTful interface
Take advantage of Google’s powerful translation algorithms
Build multilingual apps
Learn how you can use Translate API to build apps that can programmatically translate text in your applications or websites.
Analyze Big Data in the cloud using SQL and get real-time business insights in seconds using Google BigQuery. Use a fully-managed data analysis service with no servers to install or maintain.
Reliable & Secure
Complete peace of mind as your data is automatically replicated across multiple sites and secured using access control lists.
You can store up to hundreds of terabytes, paying only for what you use.
Run ad hoc SQL queries on
multi-terabyte datasets in seconds.
Google App Engine
Create apps on Google’s platform that are easy to manage and scale. Benefit from the same systems and infrastructure that power Google’s applications.
Focus on your apps
Let us worry about the underlying infrastructure and systems.
See your applications scale seamlessly from hundreds to millions of users.
Premium paid support and 99.95% SLA for business users