Home » Internet
Category Archives: Internet
My second book – R for Cloud Computing : An Approach for Data Scientists is now ready for sale ( ebook). Softcover should be available within a month. Some of you have already booked an online review copy. It has taken me 2 years to write this book, and as always I accept all feedback on how to be a better writer.
I would like to especially thank Hannah Bracken of Springer Publishing for this.
and I dedicate this book to my 7 year son Kush.
“Everything that is good in me, come from your love, Kush“
Will: Why shouldn’t I work for the N.S.A.? That’s a tough one, but I’ll take a shot.
Say I’m working at the N.S.A. Somebody puts a code on my desk, something nobody else can break. Maybe I take a shot at it and maybe I break it. And I’m real happy with myself, ’cause I did my job well.
But maybe that code was the location of some rebel army in North Africa or the Middle East. Once they have that location, they bomb the village where the rebels were hiding and fifteen hundred people that I never met and that I never had no problem with get killed.
Now the politicians are sayin’, “Send in the marines to secure the area” ’cause they don’t give a shit. It won’t be their kid over there, gettin’ shot. Just like it wasn’t them when their number was called, ’cause they were pullin’ a tour in the National Guard. It’ll be some kid from Southie takin’ shrapnel in the ass.
And he comes home to find that the plant he used to work at got exported to the country he just got back from. And the guy who put the shrapnel in his ass got his old job, ’cause he’ll work for fifteen cents a day and no bathroom breaks.
Meanwhile he realizes the only reason he was over there in the first place was so we could install a government that would sell us oil at a good price. And of course the oil companies used the skirmish over there to scare up domestic oil prices. A cute little ancillary benefit for them but it ain’t helping my buddy at two-fifty a gallon.
They’re takin’ their sweet time bringin’ the oil back, and maybe even took the liberty of hiring an alcoholic skipper who likes to drink martinis and fuckin’ play slalom with the icebergs, and it ain’t too long ’til he hits one, spills the oil and kills all the sea life in the North Atlantic.
So now my buddy’s out of work and he can’t afford to drive, so he’s walking to the fuckin’ job interviews, which sucks ’cause the schrapnel in his ass is givin’ him chronic hemorroids. And meanwhile he’s starvin’ ’cause every time he tries to get a bite to eat the only blue plate special they’re servin’ is North Atlantic scrod with Quaker State.
So what did I think? I’m holdin’ out for somethin’ better. I figure, fuck it, while I’m at it, why not just shoot my buddy, take his job and give it to his sworn enemy, hike up gas prices, bomb a village, club a baby seal, hit the hash pipe and join the National Guard? I could be elected president.
(written by Matt Damon and Ben Affleck)
Wearable Computing for honest law enforcement
Why cant police officers in the USA (or the World) be asked to wear something like Google Glass ( or equivalent) with the records secure but ready to be subpoenaed in case of shootings or conflict. It was also add to security of police officers .
Heck why cant you add a small wearable computing /camera to every handgun?
Surely it could have prevented the unrest in Ferguson?
Consider the hypothesis above and consider the facts below
massive open online course= Mooc
but coursera is not Open
- You cannot share Coursera content on Youtube or any non Coursera- this effectively ties in people to the website
- The Website does not use any social login or OpenID
- There is enough evidence of cross selling including branding, selling books and now 50$ certificates
- There is more vigor to get easily monetization course curriculum than to get subjects that are relevant to society ( eg job training for laid off workers in rural USA or for farmers in Africa or for textile mill workers in Bangalidesh)
- No effort in localization and customization or translation despite multiple avenues for machine learning enabled translation APIs (cough cough Machine learning= ML)
- Prof ML insists on using Octave and not R. Everyone knows Sheldon Cooper is more cool than Howard Wolowitz, yet Prof ML will say – it is easy to prototype using the latter and not the former. Plus he does not really update his slides too much
- With a 5% pass rate you actually dont care about the (students) education as they are just (money) bricks in your (fire) wall
- Blog posts are shared but data on usage and engagement is not shared openly or through an API
- Lame efforts at open sourcing the platform
- Lamer efforts at keeping clutter off the course search page ( Hint- Dont use Ctrl + F)
All images sourced from http://boards.4chan.org/b/
and I mean Free and Open Source (FOSS not Fuss)
Hopefully teachers in academia can start using the flavor of R that will help their students get more jobs
Hopefully analysts in industry can start using this flavor of R without worrying on costs or vendor lock in
It’s all here folks and its seriously awesome
Wishlist for 2015- A Combined Corporation with RStudio and Revolution Analytics folks ( product synergies are awesome too ;)
1) Be Honest. Internet and Google are good at recognizing fakes
2) Always keep an eye on web analytics to receive feedback on what works and what does not work
3) Categories and Tags help people and search engines find your content easily
4) Trust in God but use Spell Check.
5) Interesting blog beats non interesting blog
6) Curiosity and Utility are the two things you need for a blog.
7) Artists steal. Bloggers get inspired. Search Engines catch thieves. So modify when you get inspired. Use original words
8) Benchmark with the best blogs in your subject. Read others. What does your blog aspire to do?
9) People who know CSS and HTML are better at changing blog layouts. Or people who are better at finding WordPress themes.
10) Plan your writing and always a few drafts handy.
11) Be regular in your passion for blogging. If you are not passionate about doing a good job out of it, you will NOT do a good job out of it.
12) Okay I have a superb blog. Where do I publicize without looking like a spammer?