India bans Facebook for refusing to comply with Indian laws on sharing data to law enforcement and sharing data about Indian citizens to American law enforcement.
To fill the void left by Facebook, an Indian company decides to create Desibook- which quickly gains 300 million subscribers. Within a month life is back to usual for Indian users of social media, and a new hot tech startup is born which will be listed in Mumbai’s stock exchange?
What is wrong in the above scenario? What if —-
Dear Mr CEO
I am sorry but I need to go. I tried to be your sexy data scientist but you would really not know. I cant make bricks without clay. I cant make models without data. I can do cluster analysis but trust me you dont want me to make an algorithm for cluster analysis. Stop saying algorithm so often.
We need databases to store data. There are many kinds of data and there are many kinds of database. There are no right or wrong answers. There is no perfect software. At best we optimize our software hardware and our people for our constraints of time, money and business refresh speed.
Please dont be paranoid. Trust some people, but read more often. Don’t trust too much on technology vendors. They have a job to do. Don’t trust consultants too much. They have to eat bread. Use the Delphi method to reach consensus. But there is a cost to perfect information.
R and Python and SAS do the same thing in different manners. Yes, there is a cost benefit to every software. Open source is not free. Paid software is not the best. People matter. Analytics and models and statistics require more subjectivity than you have been told.
Please pay invoices on time
The Sexiest Data Scientist
My second book – R for Cloud Computing : An Approach for Data Scientists is now ready for sale ( ebook). Softcover should be available within a month. Some of you have already booked an online review copy. It has taken me 2 years to write this book, and as always I accept all feedback on how to be a better writer.
I would like to especially thank Hannah Bracken of Springer Publishing for this.
and I dedicate this book to my 7 year son Kush.
“Everything that is good in me, come from your love, Kush“
Tales from the crypto-
1) Accept the inevitability of writer’s block and surrender to it for a few days. Even Nobel Prize Winners have had it
2) Divert your attention from constantly thinking on the same topic by reading a completely different topic
3) Relax your body . Some people exercise and run. Me, I prefer a pedicure
4) Open your computer and start typing whatever comes to your mind for five minutes. Think of it as a game of speedy fingers. After 5 minutes pause. Hey that was not so bad
5) Distract yourself .Watch Benedict Cumberbatch and Listen to Freddy Mercury. or Mika. Music helps
6) Tea is the only stimulant that is legal AND healthy even if you take it a lot. Everything else including alcohol, pills, weed, coffee will cause pain OR side effects
7) Create an artificial deadline and type type type. Edit for quality later.
8) Stop worrying on getting the right words in first go and focus on creation first and polishing later. Worrying kills creativity
9) Time spent on Internet is not counted as time spent productively, so go for a digital detox. Switch off all technology for two days if you can
10) More relaxing- Pray to someone or something you believe. Visit someplace you enjoyed. Smell the roses. This too shall pass.
continued from- How to be a Better Writer
Will: Why shouldn’t I work for the N.S.A.? That’s a tough one, but I’ll take a shot.
Say I’m working at the N.S.A. Somebody puts a code on my desk, something nobody else can break. Maybe I take a shot at it and maybe I break it. And I’m real happy with myself, ’cause I did my job well.
But maybe that code was the location of some rebel army in North Africa or the Middle East. Once they have that location, they bomb the village where the rebels were hiding and fifteen hundred people that I never met and that I never had no problem with get killed.
Now the politicians are sayin’, “Send in the marines to secure the area” ’cause they don’t give a shit. It won’t be their kid over there, gettin’ shot. Just like it wasn’t them when their number was called, ’cause they were pullin’ a tour in the National Guard. It’ll be some kid from Southie takin’ shrapnel in the ass.
And he comes home to find that the plant he used to work at got exported to the country he just got back from. And the guy who put the shrapnel in his ass got his old job, ’cause he’ll work for fifteen cents a day and no bathroom breaks.
Meanwhile he realizes the only reason he was over there in the first place was so we could install a government that would sell us oil at a good price. And of course the oil companies used the skirmish over there to scare up domestic oil prices. A cute little ancillary benefit for them but it ain’t helping my buddy at two-fifty a gallon.
They’re takin’ their sweet time bringin’ the oil back, and maybe even took the liberty of hiring an alcoholic skipper who likes to drink martinis and fuckin’ play slalom with the icebergs, and it ain’t too long ’til he hits one, spills the oil and kills all the sea life in the North Atlantic.
So now my buddy’s out of work and he can’t afford to drive, so he’s walking to the fuckin’ job interviews, which sucks ’cause the schrapnel in his ass is givin’ him chronic hemorroids. And meanwhile he’s starvin’ ’cause every time he tries to get a bite to eat the only blue plate special they’re servin’ is North Atlantic scrod with Quaker State.
So what did I think? I’m holdin’ out for somethin’ better. I figure, fuck it, while I’m at it, why not just shoot my buddy, take his job and give it to his sworn enemy, hike up gas prices, bomb a village, club a baby seal, hit the hash pipe and join the National Guard? I could be elected president.
(written by Matt Damon and Ben Affleck)